the sandlot part 1

NARRATOR Everyone's got that one summer when they were a kid... a summer so perfect, that it stays with them forever. It stays caught in time, like Camelot. pause That summer is like a book with a million blank pages that you get to fill with the greatest story you could ever dream up.

*everyone stares*

(BEAT) This is a story about a legend. And for us, that summer was the one when the legend got made.
WE CLOSE IN TIGHT on the black smudge, which becomes: A SERIES OF B&W PHOTOS & STOCK FOOTAGE GEORGE WASHINGTON crossing the Delaware. DANIEL BOONE in frontier buckskins. ABE LINCOLN giving the Gettysburg address. FREDERICK DOUGLAS orating from a podium. SITTING BULL in his splendor. THE WRIGHT BROTHERS at Kitty Hawk - this photo blends to news reel stock footage of the actual launch.

Benny; *smiles softly*

The following also blend to stock: JOE LOUIS clobbering MAX SCHMELLING. JESSE OWENS in the '32 olympics. ALBERT EINSTEIN scrawling on a chalkboard. CHARLES LINDBERG and his Spirit of St. Louis land in Paris.
As the waiting throngs cheer WILDLY:
NARRATOR (CONT'D) Everybody sometime in their life has met a real live hero.
(MORE) 2

*everyone mumbles agreeing*

NARRATOR (CONT'D) They're not exactly a dime a dozen, but there's plenty of people who've done real great things. But hardly anyone has ever met a certified Legend, because most of them are dead before they get voted one.

CHUCK YEAGER in the X-1 breaking the sound barrier.

MACARTHUR stepping ashore, pipe clenched.

JIM THORPE playing football.

ELVIS PRESELY on stage in hep-cat duds.

Anna: elvis!

NEIL ARMSTRONG setting foot on the moon.

NARRATOR (CONT'D) So, to actually be there at the moment one gets made... well, forget about it. It never happens. Almost never... To understand how it all got started, you have to go back...
WE PULL BACK FROM THE MOON - like a baseball in the sky.

NARRATOR (CONT'D) ...to the all-time, hands down, complete and undisputed Legend that ever lived. A BASEBALL in someone's hand.
WE PULL BACK FROM IT.

NARRATOR (CONT'D) In any language, in any country, in any world. The Sultan of Swat. The King of Clout. The Great Bambino. You have to go back to... BABE RUTH is holding the baseball.

NARRATOR (CONT'D) ...The Babe. (BEAT) There's never been anyone greater than The Babe. And when he called his famous full count homerun in the 1932 world series, he made sure he'd live forever. THE BABE hits a homerun. Settles into his signature, locomotive basepath chug.

Benny and yeah yeah; *nods*

Rialey; damm

Lenny; wow

NARRATOR (CONT'D) And it's a good thing he became immortal, because without him, what happened that summer, absolutely never (MORE) 3

NARRATOR (CONT'D) would've happened. Weird thing was, before I moved to the neighborhood, I had no idea who he was. And he played a game I knew nothing about. SLO-MO - THE BABE'S CLEATS send up chalky dust at each STEP. His foot hits home plate - taking us 30 years into the future. The Babe's antiquated leather cleat becomes...

*the baseball players jaws drop*

Johnathen; if you dont know baseball or have never seen this movie you wouldn't either like me