Chapter 10: He Asked For It, Really

Start from the beginning

Alexei stopped after a few quick steps in the snow, placing his hands on his knees to catch his breath. ''What now?'' he panted, panic laced in his voice. Who blamed him though? He had an angry mob after him. Prisoners who weren't too happy one managed to get out.

The helicopter had finally reached the prison and flew over the gated courtyards. Alexei dragged his eyes up, eyebrows shooting up in surprise. Yeah, he probably never expected to ever see Natasha and Yelena again, let alone that they would break him out of prison. 

''We're getting you outta here.'' And they weren't a second too early. From all sides, angry prisoners stormed out the building, boxing Alexei in. Guards were all over them in seconds, shooting with rubber bullets, lighting the place up with flares. It was a whole mess. And they wouldn't be able to land or throw a rope down like this. Who knew what kind of criminals would try and escape with them? 

''Go to the upper level,'' Natasha ordered. Above the yard was a walkway, meant for the guards to patrol and keep an eye on the prisoners from above. That could work. If Alexei hurried his ass up before more guards came. ''Move your ass, supersoldier.''

He did his best. He really did. But anyone could see he was out of shape. He scaled a concrete wall, with the goal of pulling himself over the railing, but a guard tasered him and down he fell. With a grunt, he landed flat on his back in the snow, once again at the lowest level.

Honestly, one hit with a taser and he was down? How many hits with those things did Steve cash in that goddamn elevator in the Triskelion? And even two or more at the same time. 

Katya snorted, enjoying this whole thing a bit too much. ''This is embarrassing.''

''He's never going to make it,'' Yelena agreed with her. The mob once again closed in on him. And they wouldn't be able to come back later and try to break him out again. They needed him right now, because time was ticking. The Soldier would be back, the vials were a risk to have. They needed answers and fast. And only Alexei could point them in the right direction.

''Get me closer,'' Natasha ordered Yelena.

Katya's head snapped from the window to her wife, her eyes widening as she realized what those words meant. ''Natalia, no.''

Natasha looked from Yelena's concerned face to Katya's worried one. ''You got a better idea?''

No, she didn't, but it didn't feel terrific to let Natasha dangle on one piece of rope and drop her in the middle of a literal mob. Even if she could handle the prisoners.

When Katya stayed silent, Natasha nodded to herself in confirmation and slid the headset off her head, standing up from her seat. When she passed Katya, the brunette caught her wrist.

''Be careful, please,'' she whispered quickly, letting her arm go because there wasn't a lot of time. 

Katya didn't know what she would do if Natasha died right here and now. Honestly, she had no one. Couldn't go anywhere for support. Not even to her own family. Natasha was all she had left. Being on the run alone sucked so much more. 

Natasha threw her a faint smile to put her mind at ease. ''Always.'' 

She ripped her eyes away from Katya's and pulled the door open. The wind hit her head-on and blew her hair backwards, even toying with the other women's hair in the front. Katya had taken Natasha's previous spot but was busier looking over her shoulder than out the window.

Her heart beat in her throat when Natasha jumped out the back, swinging on just a simple rope, down to the walkway. ''Jesus Christ, why is she so reckless?'' she breathed, stressed and worried out of her goddamn mind.