"Gloss wants to kick some Cover Girl ass," Mason had said, swigging from a bottle of Lipton iced tea (they were a client) and tapping his Bic pen (ditto) against the top of his oak conference table. Mason was so loyal to our clients that he once walked out of a four-star restaurant because the chef wouldn't substitute Kraft ranch for champagne-truffle dressing.

"Gloss's strategy is accessible glamour," Mason had continued. "Forget the Park Avenue princesses; we're going after schoolteachers and factory girls and receptionists." His eyes had roved around the table so he could impale each of us with his stare, and I swear he hadn't blinked for close to two minutes. Mason reminded me of an alien, with his bald, lightbulb-shaped head and hooded eyes, and when he went into his blinkless trances I was convinced he was downloading data from his mother ship. My assistant, Donna, was certain he just needed a little more vitamin C; she kept badgering him to go after the Minute Maid account.

"What was the recall score of Gloss's last commercial?" someone at the other end of the table had asked. It was Slutty Cheryl, boobs spilling out of her tight white shirt as she stretched to reach a Lipton from the stack in the middle of the conference table.

"Can I get that for you?" Matt, our assistant art director, had offered in a voice that sounded innocent if you didn't know him well.

Matt was my best friend at the office. My only real friend, actually; this place made a sadists' convention seem cozy and nurturing.

"I can reach it," Cheryl had said bravely, tossing back her long chestnut hair and straining away as Matt shot me a wink. You'd think that after a few hundred meetings she'd have figured out an easier way to wet her whistle, but there she was, week after week, doing her best imitation of a Hooters girl angling for a tip. By the purest of coincidences, she always got thirsty right when she asked a question, so all eyes were on her.

"Cover Girl's last commercial, the one with Queen Latifah, hit a thirty recall, and Gloss's latest scored a twelve," Mason had said without consulting any notes. He had a photographic memory, which was one reason why our clients put up with the sneakers.

I could see why Gloss was testing the waters at other agencies. Twelve wasn't good.

The recall score is one of the most effective tools in advertising's arsenal. It basically tells what percentage of people who watched your commercial actually remembered it. Cheryl, who's a creative director like me, once oversaw a dog food commercial that scored a forty-one. She ordered dozens of balloons emblazoned with "Forty-One" and blanketed the office with them. Subtlety, like loose-fitting turtlenecks, isn't in her repertoire. And I swear I'm not just saying that because I've never scored higher than a forty (but just for the record, I've hit that number three times. It's an agency record).

"I want five creative teams on this," Mason had said. "Have the campaigns ready for me three weeks from today. The best two will present to Gloss."

As everyone stood up to leave, Mason had walked over to me while Cheryl took her time gathering her things and pretended not to eavesdrop.

"I need this account," he'd said, his pale blue eyes latching onto mine.

"Is the budget that big?" I'd asked.

"No, they're cheap fucks," he'd said cheerfully. "Name the last three clients we signed."

"Home health care plans, orthopedic mattresses, and adult protection pads," I'd rattled off.

"Diapers," he'd corrected. "Ugly trend. We're becoming the incontinent old farts' agency. We need the eighteen to thirty-five demographic. Get me this account, Lindsey." His voice had dropped, and Cheryl had stopped shuffling papers. She and I had both leaned in closer to Mason.