Chapter 8: You Got Married?!

Start from the beginning

But the blonde had entirely different things on her mind. A gasp left her lips when things clicked in her head. ''You got married?''

''Yeah, like two years ago,'' Natasha answered like it wasn't one of the happiest days of her life. However, Katya could see how her eyes sparkled in the rearview mirror and how she did her best to hide the flood of emotions bubbling up.

''Oh my god, that's so romantic!'' Yelena exclaimed, letting Katya's hand go, which allowed her to fall back into her seat again. Her reaction was absolutely adorable and the best they could have hoped for. ''Did you go on a honeymoon?''

''That's kinda hard when you're on the run, you know?'' Katya chuckled, wishing she got to take Natasha somewhere beautiful. A setting that made her come alive. Definitely somewhere warm. God, she'd kill to see her in a summer dress. Or in any domestic scene actually. Just two people on holiday.

''So you didn't go anywhere?'' Yelena huffed. ''That's boring.''

Katya laughed again at her frown, feeling Natasha's eyes on her in the mirror. ''Well, we got the hell out of Russia first and then...'' She bent forward between the seats, turning her head left to look at the perfect side-profile of her wife. ''Where did we go then? Was it Turkey?''

Natasha casually chewed on the gum she found in the car. Of course she had to rummage through the entire dashboard and all the compartments in the door as well. Like stealing this guy's car wasn't enough. ''Yeah, it was Turkey first and then Morocco.''

''Ah, right.'' Katya nodded to herself, once again leaning back in her own seat. ''Her Arabic is perfect.'' And sexy. But hearing her speak Russian would always be the best. Shame she didn't do that often.

''It's okay,'' Natasha downplayed herself.

Katya sent her a look that said: don't try me right now. ''It's perfect. You had a whole conversation with that guy and you didn't stutter or falter once. It was like fifteen minutes long.''

''Sounds exhausting,'' Yelena chimed in, only half paying attention anymore. No, her mind was already on something else. The honeymoon or the wedding losing her interest quickly. She didn't look like someone who was very patient. She looked down at the vest she wore and tugged on it. ''You know, this is the first piece of clothing I've ever bought for myself.''

Natasha side-eyed it, her expression unchanging when she said, ''That?'' The teasing and rude tone didn't get lost. Katya would have kicked her chair if she sat behind her. What was up with her and playing with Yelena's emotions today?

''Yeah. You don't like it?'' Yelena asked genuinely, almost hurt.

Natasha looked straight ahead at the road while she answered, doing a very good job of keeping a straight face. ''Is that like a... Is it army surplus, or...?''

''Nat,'' Katya warned her, pushing her own smile down. ''Don't be a dick.'' But she was secretly happy they got along so well. Look at the way Natasha's eyes shone with humor. Who wouldn't want to see that? 

''Okay, it has a lot of pockets,'' Yelena rambled on, trying to defend herself. But her offended expression only made Natasha let out a laugh, which caused her to get more pissed. ''But I use them all the time, and I made some of my own modifications.''

''Oh, yeah?'' the redhead teased.

''Whatever. Shut up,'' Yelena cut Natasha off when she laughed again, now completely done with this conversation, with her. In a funny way though. ''The point is, I've never... I've never had control over my own life before, and now I do. I want to do things.''

''Hmm...'' Natasha glanced at her again, her teasing tone disappearing, although her smile stayed on her face. ''I like your vest.''

''I knew it! I knew you did. It's so cool, right?'' Yelena perked up, looking down at herself and pulling on all the pockets and straps. Her face was like that of a child after someone asked them to show them their newest toy. ''And you can put so much stuff in there. You wouldn't even know.''