08 : 𝖮𝗉𝖾𝗇 𝖴𝗉 𝖳𝗈 𝖬𝖾, 𝖢𝗈𝗆𝗆𝖺𝗇𝖽𝖾𝗋

Start from the beginning

"I don't know," he admitted. "That's why we're here. To defend what is right. Nordame prodded us first. It's our duty to keep what was originally ours."

Y/N sadly stared at her lunch. Commander Choi gulped down his cold water and let out a refreshed 'ahh' afterwards. He set his steel cup onto the surface with a loud tinkle. Y/N pursed her lips.

"Take a bite," Commander Choi encouraged. "Come on, Nurse Y/N."

She did but a small one. A sudden thought entered her mind. Reaching out for her little bag, she fished out a crumply photograph— the one that Private Lim had given her before he died. Pretty Diana was still holding a peaceful baby Vivian in her arms. Nothing has changed. How long until they figure out what happened to the man of their house? That he faced an ill-destiny? That he told Y/N he wouldn't be able to see the day his beloved daughter would turn one?

Commander Choi inched close. "Who's that?"

"It's Private Lim's family." She bitterly smiled. "He asked me to give this to his wife as soon as this trouble ceases."

"I see." He nodded. "Poor people."

"He'll never have the chance to witness his kid grow."

"Private Lim. Brave man. One of the toughest during training," Commander Choi reminisced. "It's a great loss."

"What about you, commander?"

He raised a brow. "What about me?"

"Where's your family?"

His once sympathetic gaze fell cold the moment she mentioned the word family. He looked down to his boots, fingers fiddling hardly with each other, while his tongue poked the inside of his right cheek.

"I have none."

Y/N blinked, unsure what to say.

"Lost them when I was three. My grandfather, he was a retired military officer. He took care of me until I was fifteen."

"Ah.."

"Then he died in his sleep. Had no choice but to help myself."

"Didn't you have anybody else?"

He shook his head. "Never knew any other relatives than my grandparents."

"I'm so sorry." Y/N tapped his back. "I never knew you had such upbringing."

"Come think of it," Commander Choi scoffed. "Hadn't if it were for grandfather's passing, I wouldn't have forced myself to be here."

Y/N slightly beamed. "Mhm."

"And you? Where's your family?"

"They're in Grigórre, Montverde. A little too far from the town I worked in."

"When was the last time you saw them?"

"Five years ago?" Y/N furrowed her brows. "Yeah, I think that's it. But, I do write to them often."

Commander Choi grabbed back his cup to fill another swig of water. Y/N decided she wanted a sip so she stood to get her own. Silence enveloped the two. Only the jug spilling beverage to their cool, metal containers tickled their ears. No men talked outside. They were all napping as noontime passed. Commander Choi watched the nurse's back as she drank, turning away from him. He had never noticed her blouse being partially unbuttoned and even if he did see, he would care less. Y/N seemed to be too absorbed over the drama to realize as well.

"I have a question," he chirped.

"Go ahead."

"What do you intend to do when all of this subsides?"

"Run back to my family? Continue my pledge in the hospital? It's either of the two."

"Why don't you stay in the military?"

Y/N shallowly laughed. "I'm nothing but a mere volunteer, commander. I wasn't trained specifically for this field."

"That wasn't what I saw when you held a rifle."

"Excuse me?"

"What?" Commander Choi smirked. "I thought you were determined to fight, Nurse Y/N? What's with this sudden belittling of your profession?"

"Never expected for you to praise me, that's why."

Commander Choi chuckled. For the first time, someone has ever heard him do so. Y/N paused to listen. It sounded endearing— like a charmed child after seeing magic. Who knew this stern guy could have a little laugh too?

Whip!

"Commander," Maria poked her head from the flaps. "Ooh, hey, Y/N."

Y/N innocently waved at her grinning friend. Commander Choi tilted his head sideways. His blank demeanor abruptly masked the giggling facade he just wore a second ago.

"What do you want?"

"Sergeant Kang needs a word with you, sir. He just received a call from Montverde. It's very important."

------------------------------------------------------------

"Commander!" Sergeant Kang sprung up from his seat and saluted.

"What is it?"

"Oh, boy, do I have dreadful news." He clicked his tongue. "Nordame's at it again, sir. Corporal Sy radioed. Troops are down in Grigórre."

Y/N, who had gone out with the commander, overheard this and stiffened. Sergeant Kang didn't stop there.

"A state hospital was cannoned down yesterday too. No one survived."

There was only one state hospital in Montverde and it would be no other than Y/N's workplace. Her world crumbled. First, her family was in danger and now, all her dear coworkers' lives were cut short. She stumbled back. Commander Choi felt this so he caught her.

"Nurse Y/N," he called. "Take a seat."

"The people in Grigórre," she glanced up at Sergeant Kang. "Can you tell me more about them?"

"Corporal Sy mentioned them being taken to a concentration camp. Apparently, a couple of our troops were captured as well." Sergeant Kang held his waist. "This is a nightmare. Commander, any plans?"

Commander Choi thought hardly. His forces around Montverde were growing smaller and weaker as Nordame gained advantage. A few more and they'll certainly lose. Y/N ran out of the scene. He let her go. It occurred to him that she might need a good cry.

"We'll discuss things by Saturday evening. Make sure to let the boys know."