Chapter 2

Once the peculiars had finished tidying up from breakfast- Miss Peregrine had forced Enoch to help dry the dishes, which he was not pleased about- everyone dispersed outside. Enoch, however, decided to go down to the basement. He trudged down the stairs to the cold, filthy room and began pulling out some jars of hearts and a ball of clay, and formed them into a few homunculi. The clay was cold and cracked, so they came out a little disfigured. He watched them stumbling stiffly on legs that were too cold to bend, and frowned. Not his best work, to say the least.

"Alright, soldiers- march!" he commanded. They turned to look at him, not moving, and Enoch swore if they had eyes they'd be rolling them.

"I said march, you impertinent fools!" he commanded again, scowling now.

The homunculi ignored him and went back to milling around aimlessly. One fell over and its leg fell off. Enoch face palmed and snapped off their heads.

"What a waste of perfectly good hearts," he muttered, and left them writhing on the workbench as he stormed back up the stairs and to his new bedroom.

Enoch couldn't wait to collapse onto the bed and try to get some sleep, but when he arrived he was horrified to find Bronwyn and Claire already in there.

"What the hell are you doing?" he scowled.

"Claire left her necklace in here. We're just trying to find it, if that's okay," Bronwyn said.

"It's not okay! You can't just come in here whenever you like," Enoch snapped. "So why don't you just get out of my room?"

Bronwyn frowned.

"Umm, it's not your room, Enoch. It's still Olive and Claire's- you're just here temporarily. So actually we can come in here whenever we like."

Enoch's mouth fell open in outrage.

"Well... well how about I go into my real room whenever I like then? How about I go in there right now?"

He gave them a smug look, but Bronwyn just shrugged.

"Sure. Go ahead," she said.

"Can you say hi to Olive for me when you go?" Claire asked.

Enoch spluttered- that was not the reaction he'd been hoping for.

He sneered at them one last time and stormed out. This was turning out to be a terrible day.

...

Enoch spent the rest of the day being annoyed by what he swore was every single person in the house. He'd walked straight into Millard coming down the stairs, accidentally stood on one of Fiona's plants, had been chased by an angry swarm of bees (those two events may or may not have been related) and tripped over literally nothing and fallen flat on his face in front of a laughing Emma.

By the time dinner rolled around, the only person who hadn't pissed him of was, surprisingly, Horace. Enoch glanced at him across the table and rolled his eyes when the boy caught him looking. For Horace to do something stupid and annoying right now would just about be the icing on the cake for his terrible day. Enoch stabbed at his food as the others chattered senselessly. He sighed, wanting nothing more than to be like Olive and Claire, who Miss Peregrine was dismissing early for bed. Instead, he was stuck here making small talk.

The girls, however, seemed less than happy about the arrangements.

"But I don't want to go to bed!" Claire wailed, and Olive nodded earnestly.

"I want to stay up with everyone else for once," she pouted.

"Now then, there's no need for hysterics," Miss Peregrine frowned.