Chapter Five

The next day came very quickly. Elena had already prepared the ingredients she would use to cook for the crowd that day. She was currently bringing out her utensils to set up outside.

“Are you ready for today?” Mac asked.

“Of course. You?”

“Yes. Yes, I am. You know you do not have to be nervous right? I’m right next to you.” Mac said calmly. Elena stopped what she was doing to take a good look at him. Despite the calm look on his face, the twitching of his fingers and the way his legs were shaking gave him away.

“It looks like that advice was meant for you, don’t you think?” She said teasingly. Mac sighed.

“I can’t help it. So many people already want to come to our restaurant. I took a walk yesterday evening after our showcase, and we were the talk of the whole town.” He said, smiling.

“Well then, that’s good isn’t it?” Elena asked.

“You have no idea. Enough with the chit-chat. Let go prepare for more customers.” He helped her carry her working table to the front of the restaurant and also helped her to arrange her utensils and ingredients. They had an even bigger crowd that day. So many people were fighting to be at the front lines to not miss taking the food when it was done. Mac smiled inwardly.

When he was done, he called Elena and when she came out, the crowd became restless. He calmed them down and began his introductions.

“Good morning everyone. Today, we are going to cook another of our special menus for you. After today though, there would be no more of this show. I would tell you more about this at the end of this. For now, let’s welcome our Cook, Elena!”

There was cheering and whistling. The people that tasted her food couldn’t wait for her to cook again and those that heard of her food were curious to taste it. Elena put on an aloof face but inwardly she was very proud of herself. She had started to make a name for herself and people were recognizing her for it. She was so very happy.

She began bringing out her ingredients and utensils and introducing them as she did the day before. Then she got to work mixing and preparing the ingredients. In the middle of the whole spectacle, the crowd started to whisper and murmur. She looked up to find out what was distracting their attention and saw a group of men heading towards her and Mac. She looked at Mac to find out about them, only to see that his face had frosted over.

“Who are they?” She whispered to him.

“People you do not want to associate yourselves with.” He said frostily. Elena looked back at the group, already putting up her defenses. She had come this long already, she wouldn’t let anyone destroy her hard work.

“Well well well, if it isn’t Mac. Come to steal our recipe again?”

“You know who the true thief is. What are you doing here? I do not want you to cause any trouble.” Mac said.

“Trouble? No, no. We aren’t looking for any trouble. Just want a little competition between restaurants that’s all.” The leading man gave a studious look to Elena. Elena looked closely at the man too. Unlike Mac who looked older and lanky, this man looked young and reputable and reeked of money. He reminded her of all those politicians in her father’s palace.

“I don’t remember we agreeing to any kind of competition,” Mac spoke again.

“That was why we came to offer one. We would love to do it now. See,” he waved over one of the men behind him. The man was dragging a bag of cooking utensils along with him.

“We are already prepared.” Everywhere was silent. The crowd was curiously watching the spectacle, trying to figure out what would happen next.