epilogue

Rain pummeled the windshield, and heavy clouds dominated the sky above, blocking the top of the city's skyscrapers

Rain pummeled the windshield, and heavy clouds dominated the sky above, blocking the top of the city's skyscrapers. Casey Castañeda flexed his hands on the steering wheel, strangely pleased with the gloomy weather. It fit his mood perfectly. His eyes peered through the downpour, raking over the bright white tombstones peppering the green grass., shielded from the deluge by large, leafy trees. There were a hundred different places he'd rather be right now—Antarctica with no clothes, a pit of viper snakes, hell, even Mars. Anywhere but here, with the memories of that night grabbing him by the balls. He swore the scent of burnt wood and singed flesh was still in nose. At night, when he closed his eyes, there were even times he relived the moment the wall came crashing down, the final second before his father was gone, before his life changed forever.

"Come on, Casey. You can do it," Yael told him from the passenger seat. He kept his gaze fixed straight ahead, certain if he so much as looked in her direction, his grumpiness would evaporate into pure bliss.

"No. I can't."

"It's been five months."

"So?"

"So, it's time."

"Why are you making me do this?"

"Because he's your father."

"We weren't close. You know that."

"You have to go."

"I don't."

"Don't be a baby."

"Well, what else do you want me to say, Yael?"

"Maybe try recognizing what he did for us that day, what he risked."

She didn't get it. Casey dropped his head back and rested it on the seat. "I've spent most of my days since the fire stuck in hospitals and clinics and physical therapy. I mean, for Christ's sake, I have new skin that itches like hell on my legs, and let's not forget the epic brain swelling, which wouldn't have happened if not for him."

Yael snorted. "You sound like a spoiled toddler."

"Baby or toddler, what is it?"

"Right now? Both." He heard her sigh. "Shit happens. Ignoring your problems doesn't make them go away, trust me. Look at what Haustin did—"

"Haustin was no saint."

"No, but he ran away from the hard stuff. Just like you're doing now."

"Ouch," Casey muttered, refusing to acknowledge how rational she sounded. As usual. He knew he hadn't been easy to be around lately. The trauma of that day, and his lengthy healing, had stolen some of his normally bright outlook on life. Maybe he needed to do this, get it over with and move on to the future. He had so many positive things going for him.