Chapter 14

PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE, PART III
Chapter 14:
The one that got away

Yuhee

“DANBI!” I wrapped my arms around Danbi. She's wearing a black baseball cap in the coffee shop where we met.

“Keep it down, if you want us to have a quiet time.” She said, hugging me back anyway.

“I missed you, superstar.”

“Me too.” She said as I sat across from her.

“It's been so long.”

“My group was busy touring.”

“Where were you?”

“Here and there.” She said casually.

“Ah, I want to travel too!” I exclaimed.

Danbi looked at me as if searching my face for any changes. “But you really changed a lot.” She said.

I touched my face. “Did I get uglier?”

“The opposite, but I wasn't talking about physical appearance. You're so much more alive, I guess.”

“What do you mean?”

“I miss the passive Yuhee. I used to think you were always mad at me for something until I got used to it. But this Yuhee that's full of life isn't so bad.” She said smiling.

“Yah, you work my job and you'll see that I had to re-learn having facial expressions. My clients used to think I was rude for not having enough reaction.” I said, frowning.

“I don't have to work your job to know how it's like to smile even when you're not in the mood to.”

Our orders came. I sipped from my drink and looked at her. “But are you happy?” A sincere question from me. Danbi and I were the kind of friends that didn't talk everyday but still genuinely root for each other wherever we are, whatever we may be doing.

Danbi smiled and nodded. “Especially, lately. Can you believe that six years into this career and we're just taking off? It's really good right now, Yuhee. We're still getting used to it, my group, I mean.”

“I'm proud you.” I said and I meant it. “The Danbi who was afraid to show the world what she's got is proud of you too.”

Danbi grinned. “Thank you, Yuhee. You know you were my pillar.”

“No, you're your own pillar. I just gave you a little push to realize that.”

“Ah, you always remind me.”

“You should never forget.” I told her. “So, what are you up to now that your world tour is over?”

Danbi shrugged. She had gotten so much prettier, but she looks so much younger than I am even though we're the same age. “Well, we should be preparing for a new album soon... but Yuheeya,”

“What?”

“Do you remember Jung Ilhoon?”

I paused on drinking. “Of course, he's one of Peniel's friends. Why?”

“Apparently, he became a music producer. My company is meeting with him to produce a few songs for my group's album.” Danbi said but something about her face tells me there's something more to that.

“Were you close with him? I wasn't. I got close to Hyunsik through Peniel, Changsub through that group project back in high school but Ilhoon was kind of a mystery to me. I don't think he still hangs out with them.”