Chapter 11

PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE, PART II
Chapter 11: Everything Will Be OK

Yuhee

“Go home.” I told Peniel as we were sitting on a bench. “It's cold and your family is waiting for you.”

“It's fine. We just have dinner and then go to sleep. We do wake up at midnight to open presents though. They won't mind me staying out for a bit.”

“Take your jacket with you.” I said, about to take it off my body when he stopped me.

“No, keep it for now. I finally have a jacket to give you when you're cold.” He said jokingly.

I looked at him until he turned his head towards me. “What?” He asked.

“Go home.” I repeated softly. “I'm thinking of spending Christmas eve with Binna eonni.”

“Noona celebrates Christmas eve with us. Why don't you come over? If you don't wanna go home, that is.”

I looked away. “Thanks but I'll pass. I'll just drop by her place then to greet her and give her the gift.”

“Yuhee, if this is about us not talking for—”

“No, Peniel, I just don't feel very Chrismassy right now.” I said, pulling out a very small red bag from my pocket and giving it to him. “But still, I'm glad I saw you. Merry Christmas.”

Peniel took it and he was about to open it when I stopped him, holding the back of his hand without really thinking much into it. “Midnight, please.” I said. “I wrote something in there. I didn't think we'd see each other tonight.” I pulled my hand off his.

“I'm sorry.” He said. “I'm sorry I didn't talk to you.”

“I know. I'm sorry too. I wasn't sure I wanted you to talk to me.”

“Yuhee,”

“I'll be fine.”

“I know, but where are you going tonight?”

This must have been why I didn't want us to talk for a while. Every time we do, I'm reminded so much of why my heart is now feeling warm amidst the sadness looming around it.

“Peniel”

“What is it?”

“Let's try not to see each other again until winter break ends.” I said.

He looked taken aback. “What?”

I tried to smile at him. “You take up too much in here.” I said, pointing at my head. “I really want to set my mind free for a while, even just for a short time. Maybe later, I could tell you what's going on. I really want to, but now is not the right time. It's Christmas eve and I'm not about to ruin it for everyone else.”

“Yuhee...”

I planted a kiss on his cheek and he tensed up. “I'm not flirting.” I said, really smiling this time. “I'm just thankful for you.”

Peniel looked at me softly.

“I'll keep your jacket for now so go home. I don't want you to catch a cold.”

“I don't want to leave you alone.” He said.

“I want you to.”

“But Yuhee-”

“Please, Peniel.”

“Will you call me if you need anything? If you need to talk?”

I nodded. “Okay.”