Answers in Blood

Beginne am Anfang

"Uh oh. Cover your eyes. They are kissing." Bjorn said

The two adults pulled away with smiles as Ragnar looked up to you all.

"Aslaug was just saying how glad she is that Bjorn likes his brothers."

"Of course I like my brothers. They are my blood-brothers. I have waited a long time to meet them. Just as I have waited a long time to meet little Astrid." Bjorn said.

Throughout the whole time that Bjorn has known you, he had already grown to love you like a sister.

Ragnar held up a piece of food which Ubbe and Hvitserk both tried to get but Hvitserk won. Without hesitation, he handed the small piece of food to you, causing everyone to chuckle as Ragnar gave some food to his sons.

-

"In this case, I am minded to declare in favour of the plaintiff, Jorn Aronson." Ragnar said as he dealt with another problem with his people.

The crowd grumbled in disagreement causing Ragnar to sigh

"I know that this man has a bad reputation, and this is not the first time that we have had to pass judgement on him. Yet I believe he is a victim of his reputation. I think his accusers just assume that we shall find him guilty and confiscate his land. But, on this occasion, I believe he should keep his land. And the accusers should give him..." Ragnar trailed off, looking down at Hvitserk who held up 3 fingers. "3 sheep."

The crowd grumbled again as the 3 men that stood before the throne shake their heads.

"All in favour, say 'bah.'" Ragnar said, imitating a sheep

The crowd 'bah'ed like sheep as they laughed when a man came in. Ragnar stood as the people of Kattegat went silent.

"Thorvard." Ragnar said as the man moved to stand in front of the Earl

"My Lord Ragnar." Thorvard said.

"I hope you bring better news then the last." Ragnar said

"My Lord, after you left, the Saxons treacherously attacked King Horik's camp at Wessex. There was a terrible slaughter. A great many warriors perished. The King and his son only just escaped with their lives."

"What about Athelstan? What happened to Athelstan?" Ragnar quickly asked

"My Lord, I don't know of whom you speak." Thorvard said

"Why has it taken so long for me to hear this news?"

"My Lord, bad news travels a great deal slower then good news."

The crowd began murmuring again as Lagertha and Bjorn entered. Ragnar sent Thorvard on his way as he stared at his ex-wife who now stood in the middle of everyone.

"What is wrong?" Ragnar asked as he moved to stand in front of Lagertha

"I have something important to say." She said

"Should it be said in private?"

"No." Lagertha answered. "I wish to say it before everyone."

"Then say what you have to say." Ragnar said, sitting back down in his throne beside Aslaug and he down throne

"I have come to a decision." Lagertha started. "I'm aware that my son, Bjorn, wants more then anything in the world to stay here with his father. And who can blame him? If you had a father like Ragnar Lothbrok, would you not want to stay? I happily give my permission to my beloved and only son to remain here with his father and his half-brothers. As for me... I must go back to my husband. I have a duty. I'm a responsible person." Lagertha said, glancing at Ragnar before looking back to the crowd.

"But I leave my son in your good hands." The sad woman said before facing Ragnar. "Look after him, Ragnar. He's all I have left."

Ragnar nodded before Lagertha left the hall, her son following.

-

Everyone had gathered around outside as Lagertha finished preparing her horse when suddenly Aslaug had walked past the crowd and towards the blonde woman.

"Lagertha."

Lagertha and Bjorn both turned to face Aslaug who wore a grateful smile on her face.

"Thank you. There are no possible words to describe what you've done for us. I will always be in your debt."

"The debt is already paid. The future is open. Trust in the Gods." Lagertha said, glancing at her son. "Live for each moment."

The two women hugged each other before Lagertha suddenly turned to you.

"Young Astrid. Come here."

You did as told and soon stood in front of Lagertha. The woman smiled as she crouched in front of you and pulled out a dagger.

"This was my first weapon. I got it when I was just a few years older then you. Now, your mother tells me that you wish to be a shield-maiden, is that correct?"

"Yes." You nodded

"Well, since I may not see you again, I would like to give this to you. May it bring you good luck, always." The teary-eyed woman said, handing the beautiful dagger to you.

In the past 3 weeks, you and Lagertha had gotten close. She considered you like a daughter to her. She had lost her daughter Gyda to the plague but being around you, you started the fill the hole that was left inside her.

You smiled, giving the woman a hug which she quickly returned with a tight squeeze before you both pulled away. She stood as Aslaug picked you up and Bjorn helped her onto her horse.

"Don't take any more shit." You heard Bjorn tell Lagertha who began to slowly ride away. "Who do you think I am?" Lagertha asked as she trotted away, her warriors following

-