Lucky for her, Mr. Hwang is tired from the flight so he retreats to the guestroom almost as soon as they arrive at the apartment. Right before he closes the bedroom door behind him, he invites Ryujin and Yuna over to dinner so he can get an update on Chaeryeong’s case.

Ryujin agrees and says that she will return with Yuna later. She then wishes him a good rest then goes to the front door, ready to leave.

“Where are you going?” asks Yeji, going after Ryujin. “You barely spent ten minutes here.”

“I am going home. Where I can stop holding my breath and save myself from a panic attack or from the humiliation of wetting my pants.”

Yeji laughs. “Dad’s being too scary for you?”

Ryujin nods. “I feel like he can see right through me and read my mind.”

“He can’t do that.”

“I know but still… this is scarier than World War II.”

“Now you’re exaggerating.”

“Just a tiny bit maybe. I feel like I’m eighteen again,” Ryujin says with a sigh.

“Come on.” Yeji puts on her shoes. “I’ll walk you out.” She opens the door, pulls Ryujin out by the hand and takes a look around the quiet corridor. When she sees no one, she leans in for a kiss, placing her arms around Ryujin’s neck.

Ryujin closes her eyes and hugs Yeji close but she can’t relax. Not when the door behind her can be opened at any time by a man who will definitely be furious when he sees her kissing his daughter.

She ends the kiss and tries to push Yeji away.

“What? That’s it? That’s barely enough,” protests Yeji.

“Not here, okay? Your father is in there.” Ryujin points at the door behind her.

“So it’s going to be like this the entire time he’s here?” Yeji sighs, unhappy with the situation. “I’m a grown woman, Ryujin-ah. He knows it too although he refuses to acknowledge it. You can’t let him scare you off that easily.”

“I’m not scared. I’m just a little intimidated.”

“Either way, this sucks.”

“I’m sorry.” Ryujin steals another peck to appease the frowning woman. “Tomorrow’s Saturday. Let’s go out. Just the two of us.”

“Like on a date?”

Ryujin nods. “Exactly that. We’ll go grab brunch and maybe shop around Myeongdong?”

“You promise?”

“I promise. I will take you out some place nice even if I have to duel with your father.”

Yeji can’t help but grin. “It doesn’t have to be fancy. I’m fine with just a meal at your place.”

“We’ll decide later. Now you need to get ready for work and I need to talk to my broker.”

“Why?”

“I have an idea for a Christmas exhibition.”

“Is it the same idea that made you lock yourself in your studio yesterday?”

“Yes. I promise that you will be the first person who sees it.”

“I’d like that. Okay then. I’ll let you go but only if you give me at least one more kiss.”

Ryujin chuckles and gladly fulfills Yeji’s request.

———————