"Just because you say it doesn't make it true!"

"Yes it does Benny darling" she giggled getting dressed in my room so I turned away "you get madder when I do it when you are here"

"Yes because oddly enough breaking into someone's house tends to make them a little mad"

"I have a key, it's not breaking in"

"No, you know how to pick my lock"

"I have a key Benny darling, you gave me it remember"

"You stole it from my jacket that's not giving you a key"

"Yes it is" she smiled emerging from my bedroom now dressed with her hair still wet and I had to admit she did look adorable and beautiful "how did it go my darling?" She cooed coming and taking my hands jumping excitedly

"I won," I told her

"Yay! I knew you would" she smiled, giving me a tight hug. I hated doing it but I gave her a hug too as much as she scares me. I had to admit it's nice coming home to someone so excited to see you and hear about your day, even if she is nuts. "I shall make you some cookies to celebrate" she smiled giving my cheek a kiss and trying to go to the kitchen but I held her arm

"Wait"

"Yes?"

I sighed forcing her to look at me, and look me in the eye "you can't keep doing this" I told her very seriously

"Doing what?" She smiled

"Y/n. I'm serious. You can't keep doing this. One of these days it won't be me who comes down and finds you"

"What are you saying?" She asks tears welling up in her eyes

"Y/n, you don't live here. You don't have a key. This isn't our apartment. I'm not your boyfriend. Please... you know I can't keep letting you do this, I don't want to hurt your feelings but you can't stay here"

"Why not? Don't you love me?" She asks holding me tightly

"No. I -" I began but I couldn't watch her cry "of course I do sweetheart. Go on, do your hair. Just.... If you come home and I've gone away you have to call me okay to tell me you're safe?"

"Okay, I'm sorry" she giggled before she ran off to do her hair. I got a coffee and sat in my chair keeping an eye on her.

Any other person on the planet would never have let this go on this long, or would have run for the hills, changed their name and address years ago but... I don't know why I felt, not bad but I pitied her I guess and... I couldn't help but kinda grow attached to her after so long.

I've known y/n the last four years, I met her at the county championship, it started innocently enough. She was a big chess fan and she collected issues of chess reviews like some people collect comic books. I had seen her in passing a few times before we officially met. She Introduced herself and I signed some bits for her and... admitted I was kind and sweet to her as I often am to the girls I see in the chess world, but this went on. Every tournament, every chess match she was there no matter where in New York, Ohio, Texas, la, new Mexico, Canada. I would see her and every time she made it clear who she was, I kinda thought it was cute and we ended up on first name terms I even started jokingly calling her my good luck charm when I saw her as any time I did I'd always win, I never much minded it was sweet enough like having a groupie, made me feel like a rock star. But... things happened. I started getting phone calls of only breathing, I noticed odd little things, like my landlord complained about my bins being knocked over on the path as if something had gotten in them, shadows out my windows all of which I brushed off as nothing to worry about, I started seeing her more and more she'd follow me around tournaments like a lost puppy, follow me as much as she physically could till I or security stopped her, many times I had woken up and gone to leave my hotel and she would be in my corridor waiting for me. But I didn't realize what was happening, not till it was too late. I knew she liked me I'm not stupid it was pretty obvious she had a crush on me but I didn't know how far it went, I was in Moscow days from facing borgov, weiss in the hotel relaxing and I went down for just a soda at the bar to clear my mind and there she was.