Part 4

(fanart by MeFazy on Twitter)

Luca swam back to the meadow and grabbed the silver, metal, stick-like object with a half-ring on the end of it, then saw something else before him.

He approached it with the metal thing still in his hand and picked up the new object, a transparent, round shape, and looked through one end of it.

And sure enough, there was something else there, which he eagerly swam toward.

It was a machine with a funny-looking golden tube coming out of it.

Luca explored the weird machine - the gramophone - with often gasps and exclamations of "Huh?" and "Hmm." and sometimes "Whoa."

But then a shadow cast over him.

His heartbeat increased and he looked up to see someone in an old-fashioned swimsuit with a helmet and nothing showing.

Luca shrieked and swam off, but immediately hit his head on the rock.

He groaned and swam into the cave, pressing himself against the back wall as the person followed him in.

Luca whimpered and whined, flattening himself to the rocks as much as he could.

"Boo."

"Huh?"

The person took off their helmet to reveal purple scales and bright green eyes.

"It's fine, I'm not human."

Luca only then realized he hadn't been breathing when he gasped and sighed in relief.

"Oh!" He chuckled. "Thank goodness."

The other sea monster looked at him for a moment, then grinned, showing off his sharp teeth.

"Here, hold this."

He let go of and pushed forward his harpoon, then swam off.

Luca avoided it, terrified, but carefully gripped it in his hands.

"Uh... Do you live around here?" he asked, swimming out to see the creature in full light.

He had lavender scales, dark purple fins and hair-scales, and green eyes, which he seemed to keep half-closed in a relaxed, laid-back expression.

He was wearing a sleeveless yellow shirt and brown shorts with lighter brown cuffs to them, as well as a rope tied around his waist, acting as a belt.

"Down here?" The monster poked around with the helmet in his hands, full of treasures. "No, no, no. I just came for my stuff."

He noticed Luca's fish-herder.

"Ooh."

He grabbed it and swam off.

"Uh, hey! That's mine!" Luca cried and swam after him. "Sir? You forgot your harpoon and..."

"Oh, yeah. Thanks!"

He grabbed his harpoon from Luca's hands, then swam backwards - onto the beach, in the air, above the surface.

"What? What are you doing?"

Through the surface of the water, he saw the sea monster shaking himself off to dry, and to Luca's astonishment, turned into a land monster.

He... Did the change? Like it was nothing?

He gasped.

The land monster reached into the water with the fish-stick, hooked it around Luca's skinny frame, and yanked him up onto land.

Luca groaned, then looked at his hand.

It had shifted from blue-green scales to peach skin.

He quickly sat up and noticed everything about himself was human - his skin was peachy, his tail was gone, and his hair was chocolate brown and soft, not scales at all.

I DID THE CHANGE!

"No, no!" Luca flopped back on the ground, rolling around and crying out. "Oh, no! Why? Help me!"

"First time?" the former-purple sea creature chuckled, watching him with amusement.

"Of course it is!" Luca shouted. "I-I'm a good kid!"

He whimpered.

"Hey, relax."

The first human walked over to him and knelt by him.

"Breathe..."

Luca began breathing heavily, heart still thumping against his chest as he checked out his surroundings - and the human.