20 || Waver

➟ sam
┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄

I sighed, my breath clouding in a small puff. The freezing temperatures of the Arctic biome were nice, considering my element - ice. However, walking alone in a tundra for days upon end can make anyone lonely, even the most loved of people. Even me.

Voices trailed behind me, calling indecipherable things. I brushed it off as my imagination, and kept walking.

"Sam? Sam!" The voice called, and I pulled my arms tighter around my waist, keeping walking. "Sam." A hand rested on my shoulder. I turned, expecting to see Tommy, or maybe even Kyle. Of course, that's not who I saw. Instead of my close friends, there stood Jay Fuller.

"Jay? W-what the hell?" I asked, angrily.

I had known Jay since we were toddlers. My parents knew his parents, and we were sort of best friends by default. We were on the same sports teams, in the same school classes, and lived on the same street. We stuck together at all times, and it all seemed perfect. Of course, eventually, I did tell him that I was gay. He just shrugged, admitting to being bisexual. The thing was, we dated for a while. Everything went well. We never fought.

They always said that good things never last.

"What's up, Torez? How's this whole Alliot thing working out for you?" He asked, a sly smile falling onto his face.

"You have no right to be here," I said, clenching my jaw.

"Ooh, I see you're working on that stutter of yours. What a shame, I always liked the little waver in your voice, and the timid way you'd cover it up. Little Sam, always cowering away in the background. It's what you do best, after all," Jay said. He moved a hand to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. I jerked away.

"How d-dare y-you? You treated m-me like shit, y-you tossed m-me out w-when I n-needed someone there. Y-You w-were my b-best friend, my b-boyfriend, and y-you threw that all away. You said that I m-made y-you do it, y-you said that it w-was all m-my fault. It w-wasn't my fault! I have one question for y-you, y-you ass, was it really worth it?" I seethed.

"Yes, of course. It was all worth it to watch you suffer, Sam. You're like a rat in a maze, always hitting the same dead ends. You make the exact same mistake time after time, and then pretend it never happened. You're nothing but a filthy hypocrite, Samuel Torez," he said, spitting every word. I backed up, shaking my head.

"And what does that make you? You're not exactly truthful," I said.

"I lied, but not like you do. Your words are nothing but a string of untruths, breaking all those around you," he said.

"No, they're not," I said weakly.

"Are you so sure, Sam?" he said in return.

"I... I..."

"You are pathetic, Sam. I always knew it," he said, shaking his head. I squeezed my eyes tight, biting my lower lip. I couldn't fight- Jay had always been stronger than me. I could try to run, the freezing temperatures were definitely to my advantage. Then again, there was always the possibility that I would slip. With a final sense of courage, I took a deep breath. I knew what I'd have to do. The syllables fell from my mouth with a practiced ease, and I knew that I couldn't fight with my fists. I would fight with my words.

"You know what? Fuck you, Jay Fuller," I said, a grimace falling across my face. "You hurt me. You hurt me really bad. But I have friends. Friends who will stick by my side through thick and thin, and I won't have to worry about people like you with them by my side. This is my life. You're unnecessary, not to mention unwelcome. Live your entire life in Montana, have an unhappy marriage, become a drunk and die at a young age. See if I care. Leave, Jay. Don't come back."