what we've been waiting on

Start from the beginning

you nodded, keeping your eyes down, following him around the car to the door, stepping in and taking your shoes off, following him to the living room, where he pointed to the table. "sit down for a minute."

"why..?"

"because i'm hungry, now sit down while i make something." he huffed, and your eyes widened, but did as told, sitting down on the carpet, watching him walk into the kitchen, pulling stuff out of the fridge, popping it into the microwave for a minute, and a minute later he brought two plates of food, setting it down in front of you while he sat across from you, holding up his hand when you went to talk. "quiet. eat."

fuck, were you even gonna get a word out? but you sighed, grabbing a fork and eating quietly, almost amazed at how good it was despite being leftovers. yuuji probably cooked it, you thought, biting the inside of your cheek lightly, pushing the thought away and continuing to eat until you were full, watching sukuna grab the two empty plates and take them into the kitchen, rinsing them in the sink before coming back, sitting back down, resting his elbow on the table and sighing, staring at nothing.

"okay. are we here to talk about the other night?"

"you dragged me here-"

"not the topic at hand." he grumbled, and you wanted to smile a little, he was just as grumpy as always, that was good.. "night of the dance, you disappeared without a word, didn't answer my texts, the brat just got a text from his friend that you had left."

"uh.. yeah, i went home with a few friends." you started, turning to the table, exhaling slowly. "listen, i need to apologize to yuuji, too-"

"another time." he interrupted, and you frowned, going to argue before he continued. "you yelled at him thinking he was me, right?"

"i- uh, i knew he was him, but.. i think i got distracted, my mind got mixed up, and.. i think some of my feelings about you got mixed in there..?" you grimaced, this isn't how you wanted this conversation to go at all. "that's why i wanna apologize, cause i said some really mean things.."

"like calling him an asshole who doesn't care about you or your feelings?"

you bit your lip, nodding. "how.. uh, much did you hear..?"

"when you yelled about just being a backup." he sighed, leaning back and tapping his fingers on the table. "he told me what happened, but i'm not worried about it- it's yuuji, you'll both be fine after an apology."

"..i.. still wanna say something, because i.. was an asshole for no reason.." you mumbled, clenching your fists under the table. "i feel bad.."

"same here." he sighed, and you looked up, seeing him look away at nothing, frowning. "i didn't know you felt like a backup. maybe for the brat, yeah, but if you were yelling about me.. i didn't realize i'd dropped you, i don't remember it."

"you don't..?" your eyes widened, frowning. "last year, when you asked me to go to the classroom to talk to me, and you were- you were having sex with that girl in there, and i thought you wanted to do the same with me, so i was a second choice.."

his eyes widened slightly, turning to you. "that..? fuck, that's what you've been so worried about?" he sounded confused, and you tilted your head, staying quiet as he huffed. "fuck, i should've known- we weren't having sex, she found me in the classroom and tried to make a move on me, she unbuttoned her shirt and shit on her own, and i panicked because i had no fucking clue who she was, so i pinned her down to the desk so she would stop because i didn't know what else to do, and i saw you walk in, but you left before i could explain what had happened."

"..huh?" your eyes widened, absolutely baffled. you- you had heard so many rumors, why wouldn't you believe what you had seen..? there's no way- no way you had been wrong this whole time, and- "wait, wait- you- you weren't? but-"