Chapter Two

***

"He trusts you, Dream." It finally said. "On his behalf, don't let everyone down again."

***

Dream transferred his gaze to a corner of the room and let it linger there, avoiding what had just been laid before him.

Surely, George wouldn't have given him this power.

Surely, George knew it was a terrible idea.

Surely, George didn't care enough to give him a second chance.

Dream looked back up at the creature standing before him. It was distracted by the clock again, tapping one of its gloved fingers against the glass, and tilting its head in curiosity.

It grabbed the clock off the wall and wrapped its hands around it carefully, cradling it like it held all the value in the world. It brought the clock closer to Dream and held it out, as if it were offering some sort of gift.

"What's it saying?" It asked, pushing the clock even closer to Dream's ear.

Dream nudged the clock away from his face and smiled weakly.

"I'm not sure what it's saying." Dream said. "It doesn't talk."

Its glowing eyes seemed to dull as it placed the clock down next to it. It gave the clock one small pat before focusing on Dream again.

Dream brought his hand to the back of his neck, toying with his hair as he waited for it to speak again. Luckily, he didn't have to sit very long in the uncomfortable silence, because it seemed eager to talk.

"Have you made your decision?" It asked. "Do you know what you want to wish for?"

Dream looked down at his lap for a moment, watching as his fingers toyed with one another, tracing over scratches and bruises that never seemed to fade.

In truth, Dream knew exactly what he wanted.

He wanted a do-over.

He wanted to completely restart and make everything work this time around.

But, he wasn't sure that was the best option, as surely, nobody else wanted that. Wishing for his freedom, or even for everyone to just forget about what had happened felt wrong.

It felt forced.

His fingers stopped in his lap for a moment, and he looked up to find that those glowing eyes were far too close for his liking, situated right in front of his own face.

Dream swallowed his fears, backed away as much as he could, and whispered, "Is there an alternate reality where none of this has happened yet?" He closed his eyes tight and placed his hands flat on the floor. "Prior to L'manburg, I mean. Prior to when all the hostility began."

Behind the mask, Dream thought he saw it smile, if only for a few seconds. It stood up from where it had been squatting and turned around, taking the clock with it. It placed the clock back on the wall.

"There is." It observed the clock for a few seconds more before turning around and looking down at Dream. "Why do you ask?"

Dream met the glowing eyes, "Because I want to be there."

"Is that your wish?" It asked.

"It is." Dream responded.

Dream watched as it narrowed its eyes at him, its cloak slowly floating up after it as it rose into the air, slowly fading into that bright light from when it had arrived.