007┆chapter seven

Start from the beginning

"I'll get it." Paul cut her off before Sam or Jared could offer their help and the girl sighed but nodded. Cassie made her way over to her truck and the shirtless boy followed closely behind her. "Can we talk?"

"About what?"

"Us."

"There is no us, Paul." She told him as she opened the driver-side door and hoisted herself up into the back to unbuckle the car seat.

"What can I do to get you to forgive me?" he asked as he leaned against the door, trying not to stare at her ass; with the way she was in the truck ― her ass hanging out the door ― he had a perfect view, but he averted his eyes to the dirt below his feet.

"I don't know." She told him as she pulled on the car seat and let her feet hit the dirt before she pulled it out the rest of the way. "I just. . . " She sighed as she turned to face him, holding the carseat out to him. "I don't trust you."

It hurt when she said it, but he understood it. "I was just trying to protect you." He told her softly. "That's all I ever wanted to do." It was true, even when they were kids all he wanted to do was protect her.

"But you didn't." She shook her head before shoving the carseat towards him and he took it from her hands.

"Cas-"

"You didn't protect me from you." She cut him off, tears brimming in her eyes. "You hurt me. Worse than I ever thought possible and the worst part is that I still miss you."

"You miss me?"

"You know I do." A tear slipped from her eye, he reached out and wiped it from her cheek with his thumb. He let his hand linger on her cheek for a few moments as he watched her eyes close. His hand was warm against her cold cheek and she involuntarily let out a small sigh as she leaned into his palm. "I don't think I could ever not miss you." She mumbled then, in a quick move, she pulled away from him and wiped her cheeks; her left cheek still warm from his touch.

"Cassie."

"I have to go." She turned and fixed the front seat so it was back in place. "The guys are waiting." She pulled herself into the truck and looked over at him, but he just looked up at her ― there was so much he wanted to say. "Move, please." She tugged on the door and he stepped back so she could close it then he watched as she pulled out of the driveway. With a sigh he turned and carried the little girl's car seat into the house.

"Harsh." Jared mumbled and Paul rolled his eyes before putting the carseat down. "Like, that was really painful to even listen to."

"Just. . ." He turned to face the boy, his hands balled into fist and his jaw clenched. Sam stood up, moving to stand in front of Emily but the boy took a deep breath as he closed his eyes. "Just shut the hell up." He muttered before he turned and made his way out of the house and to the woods where he phased and took off towards his house. It was only a few miles from Emily's; a fact he both loved and hated.

.

.

.

.

.

.

▬▬ CASSIE TOOK A FEW deep breaths as she sat in her truck outside the Black house, her hands wiping her cheeks to make sure all of her tears were gone. She reached up and pulled the visor down, the small mirror proved what she already knew, her eyes were red and puffy.