11 | speed vs speed

hey besties, how was your week? i'm going to the salon in a bit and getting a new hair color i'm so excited skdhhs

- - -

Y/n didn't waste a millisecond after the signal was given. Activating her Quirk, she ran, leaving a trail of dust behind herself, a smirk stretched on her face. The others had nothing on her at the moment.

The robots were easy to dodge, seeing as they barely managed to move as she passed by them. The problem was the ropes and the crater. Her running wasn't graceful enough for her to run through such thin ropes, but did she really have a choice right now? She looked around for another way to cross through, but there wasn't any.

Screw it, she thought and ran through one of the ropes, thankfully not falling into the bottomless pit. She ran through another one and then another. She was feeling confident, so without taking a pause between three ropes, she just ran. At the fourth one, though, her foot missed the thin rope, causing her to stumble and fall, thankfully catching herself on the rope and dangling in the pit.

She breathed heavily as she looked down, seeing the darkness. What would happen if she fell? She didn't want to find out.

Explosions rang through her ears and she looked up, seeing Todoroki, Bakugo hot on the peppermint's tail. The two passed her, Todoroki not sparing her a glance, but Bakugo noticing her predicament. He didn't help, knowing it was a competition and that she can get herself out of the situation on her own.

The rest of the students were gaining in on her fast as well, so she knew she had to act. She dangled from the rope as she used her hands to move to the next platform, climbing on it and laying on her stomach for a second, thinking about her near-death experience. After calming her breathing, she stood up and looked at the four ropes she had to run through.

Let's go slower this time, Y/n thought as she used her strategy from the beginning - run through a rope, take a break on the platform. Run through a rope, take a break. Run through, take a break. Run, break. She felt at ease as she finally stepped on the solid ground, being able to run normally.

The next obstacle were mines and Y/n was worried once again. Maybe if she ran through them fast enough she would activate them, but the impact would be too slow to actually affect her. Yeah, sounds like a good enough plan.

Speeding through the mines, her predictions turned out to be correct. The mines didn't blow up at her, though it did blow away some of the contestants that had been catching up to her. From then on, she didn't pay attention to her surroundings. Her goal was the finish line and that's all she concentrated on, trying her best to tune out the explosions behind her. Before she knew it, she was past the finish line, cheering as she noticed she'd crossed the line first.

''In first place comes Midoriya Izuku!''

Excuse me, who?

Y/n looked ahead of her and saw Midoriya standing there, a broken piece from one of the robots in his hands. Her jaw practically hit the floor, not believing someone had beaten her in a race. To be frank, she'd thought that maybe Iida had a chance against her, but Midoriya out of everyone. Never crossed her mind.

Y/n fell to the ground, shame filling her. If only she hadn't dangled on that stupid rope for too long, she would've won. A rookie mistake. Her family must be so ashamed of her now.

''L/n, what's wrong?'' the girl heard from next to her. She looked up and saw Kirishima kneeling down next to her with a worried expression.

''Kiri, I lost! I lost a race!'' she dramatically said.

Kirishima looked at her dumbfounded. ''You finished second, that's still extremely good!''

''But I could've been first!" Y/n exclaimed, her hands going to her hair. ''I blew it! I'm not getting scouted now! They'll kick me out of UA and then I won't be able to be a hero and I'll have to work a stupid office job that I'll hate and live with the shame-''

''Calm the fuck down, Speedy,'' a gruff voice spoke, cutting Y/n's rant. Both the girl and Kirishima looked up to see Bakugo standing in front of them, staring down at the two. ''You finished second, you're still in the game. You've making a fool of yourself by sitting here and self-pitying.''

Y/n stared at him in disbelief. She never expected to hear words of encouragement - or at least she took them as such - from none other than Bakugo, who's pledge was that he'd win the whole competition.

''Okay . . .''

As Y/n and Kirishima stood up, Bakugo merely walked away from the duo.

The classes gathered in front of Midnight again as she started the wheel for the next challenge, which was decided to be a calvary battle. She explained about the teams and how the points work, and informed everyone that Midoriya was worth ten million points.

Oh my All Might, dodged a bullet there, Y/n thought as she looked around everyone eyeing Midoriya as if he was fresh meat. She shuddered, realizing that she could've been in his place right now. Maybe dangling from that rope for a little too long wasn't that bad.

Who was she kidding, of course it was bad.

Once Midnight announced that their time to form teams had started, Y/n tried to look around for potential partners when her forearm was grabbed and pulled away. Bakugo dragged Y/n and Kirishima over to Sero, who was looking around for teammates as well.

''Speedy is the horse and you two'll be on the side. I'm gonna be the rider,'' Bakugo simply explained.

''Wait, Y/n's the horse? Wouldn't Kirishima be a better choice, since he can take hits?'' Sero questioned.

''See Icy-Hot over there?'' Bakugo pointed at Todoroki's team, which consisted of Momo, Iida and Kaminari. ''They're gonna put Four-Eyes as the horse, I just know it.''

''So you want to fight speed with speed?'' Y/n asked, cocking an eyebrow.

''Exactly,'' Bakugo spoke, putting his hands in his pockets once again. ''You're faster than him, which gives us an advantage.''

''Was that a compliment?'' Y/n asked, looking at Kirishima for confirmation.

''Maybe a statement?'' Kirishima said, putting his fingers to his chin, showing that he was thinking.

''All right, time's up! You better have chosen your teams because the calvary battle begins!''