From Beta to Gamma

The next day, at the crack of dawn, I was woken by a harsh hand shaking me awake, and I squinted as I looked up at James, who watched me with his impassive golden eyes. I blushed to my hairline when I realised I was wearing just a t-shirt and underwear, but I was damned if I'd pull the covers up. Instead, I threw them aside and stood, head held high. James's gaze never changed, nor did it wander; instead, he tossed a towel and some clean clothes to me, before pointing to the bathroom. My blush grew deeper as I realised he was going to stay there for the entire process, at which point I thanked God for the shower curtain which subsequently protected my modesty.

After I'd dried and dressed, James escorted me downstairs to a massive dining room, and I followed him to where the other captives sat. All of them looked tired, and I didn't blame them as I sat at the end of the table. Not being able to talk to Kira was draining enough, but to have her presence blocked entirely... Small wonder I felt like I'd been dragged backwards through a wringer. And it didn't help that this blocking had happened against our will. You always had to keep a few secrets from your wolf, but it never went further than blocking out the parts of yourself you didn't want your wolf to know. And your wolf in turn was likely to have some secrets of their own. But never to the extent of blocking the link altogether!

I was going to pay Simon out for that, I vowed, but right now, I had to concentrate on surviving so I could actually be  in a position to do such a thing. There was no sense going all out and getting myself or Kira killed, so right now, I had to knuckle down and be a good slave, at least until I had the resources by which I could give Simon his well-deserved bollocking. It galled me to have to "roll over" so to speak, but sometimes, "rolling over" was the key to keeping your skin and the skin of your wolf in one piece.

After breakfast, James came to stand by our table. "You will all be assigned certain duties at the start of each day," he said, and his calm voice sent a shiver down my spine. "Today we're being a bit lenient, since you've all just arrived here. But from tomorrow, you will be expected to do your duties without question. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Beta," we replied. 

James nodded. "Good." He turned to the man he'd punched out yesterday. "Seamus, your duties will be to tend to the horses in the stables. I hear you're a good man with animals, so that will be your task from now on."

Seamus - who still wore the bruise on his jaw from the day before - nodded, and hurried out. He looked relieved, and I admitted to feeling jealous for his good fortune. But I kept my face expressionless as James turned back to the rest of us. In that calm, even voice, he gave out duties and chores to the other captives, until it was just him and me in the dining hall. I shivered once everyone else had gone, but resisted the urge to rub my arms. I was not going to let him see how scared I suddenly was. 

James studied me for what seemed like an eternity, before nodding again. "The Alpha wishes for you to accompany me," he said at last. "In his words, you need training. Being an acting Beta is good in some packs, but not in this one. To this end, you will become my companion, and you will follow me wherever I go. Not to the toilet, of course, and certainly not to my room. But you will be placed in a room close by to ensure I can call you if I have need."

"Yes, Beta," I said, bowing my head respectfully. I had no idea why Simon wanted me in such a trusted position as sub-Beta (packs have a weird pecking order, and sometimes an additional Beta is needed when the pack grows), but I decided my best bet was not to question this turn of fortune. Even though I knew it had something to do with Doreah. There was no other reason he would put me under James' direct command, if not for the purposes of training me to take my half-sister on one day. But again, I had no choice but to obey. I just hoped, as I had the day after the battle, that Doreah would understand and forgive me. 

And just maybe, it would put me in the positon I so desperately needed to take Simon down. It was a two-edged sword, to be sure, but it was better than the alternative. 

James studied me for a few more uncomfortable moments. "You will address me by title and name," he said at last. "You serve me directly, and we are equals from this moment. I would not have you bend your neck to me."

I blinked, surprised. "Why? If I may ask," I added hastily.

"You're not that equal to me yet," James said, his voice gaining a fine edge of frost. 

I bowed my head. "Forgive me, Beta James," I said. "I overstepped myself."

James sighed. "Come along," he said. "You have much to learn."

I took a deep breath. "Yes, Beta James," I said, but even as I followed him out of the hall, I felt that chill come back. I was sub-Beta - or Gamma, to give the correct title - but his brief burst of annoyance reminded me I was still a slave. And I'd have to do a lot to ensure I could achieve the equality that came with being a Gamma.

Stephanie's Trialजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें