Chapter 12 | Memories

Start from the beginning

Lorelei grabbed the journal first. The front had a name burned into the leather cover.

"Felix...Everly... My father. This is his journal." She stated, with awe and remembrance.

The first page was a sketch of her mother, possibly in her mid twenties with a slight smile and gleaming eyes. She was beautiful.

The next few pages were all of her, pages and pages of her mother smiling in different natural poses.

It was obvious that her father absolutely adored her mother.

With more pages of his wife, a different one came into Lorelei's vision.

As usual it was a drawing of her mother but she was not looking at the artist and instead was looking at the bundle that was held in her arms.

"Is that me?" She narrowed her eyes and moved the journal closer.

Page after page, Lorelei was enchanted by her father's work. It was like watching herself grow up with each flip.

As the drawings portrayed a cheerful and giggling little girl in dresses, the last drawing was incomplete. It was Lorelei twirling in a beautiful and sparkly ball gown but the face was not detailed and the shoes were ignored.

"Why was I wearing a ball gown? I don't remember being able to afford those luxuries."

She tried to rack her brain around the concept that she might be born into a higher class than was told.

Next was the black velvet box, luckily for Lorelei, it was not paired with a lock.

She lifted the top and was stunned on the spot by the contents inside.

There, laid a glorious necklace. Covered in stunning diamonds and dark emeralds. The shine radiating off each stone could light a whole room, reflecting light from each angle. The necklace was accompanied by dangling emerald teardrop earrings. Beautiful was an understatement.

Lastly was the paper wrapped object. From what she could feel, it was soft and plush. Lifting each fold of the wrapping paper. It revealed a dress. More specifically a ball gown.

Matching the jewelry, it was a deep emerald shade. The off shoulder neckline complimented the jeweled bodice that was detailed in trails of diamond shapes.

The skirt of the gown balanced the tightness of the torso area. It flowed elegantly with the sheer fabric over lapping the satin that finished with a subtle train at the end of the dress.

It was every little girl's dream that came to life. This is something she will cherish for the rest of her life. Finally she has items to be reminded of her doting parents.

*****

This was the day, a very special day for our dear Lorelei. Out of the entirety of her awareness in life, no person has been allowed inside her home.

Anxiety surged through her veins as she sprinted around the residence making sure every nook and cranny was cleaned to perfection. After just a few months, Jay and Hastings had finally earned little Lori's trust.

"My, what time is it?"

She looked at the small clock located on the nightstand beside her reading area.

"It's twelve...Oh lord it's twelve! They will be here any minute!"

With that, she frantically slipped the coat on her and rushed towards the designated meeting area. The front gates to the town.

Once she arrived, she was greeted with Jay and Ambrose on top of their loyal companions which she learned were named Raven and Wisp. Lorelei approached the group with an anxious feeling churning in her stomach. What if they hated her house? What if they betray her and reveal her homestead to the public?