Athelstan stared at your father before he spoke in Old Norse."What priest would know your language, old fool?" He asked. Torstein spit out his drink in laughter as you let out a giggle."Why do you still say such things?" Athelstan asked as Helga sat beside him, smiling as she handed you your toy.

You reached forward, taking the toy from her hands with a grin. It was a small boat, one that Floki had carved for you himself.

"So where is he?" Floki asked. "Where is our Earl?"

"Behind you." Torstein smirked. Looking up, you saw your Uncle Ragnar holding his son. As Ubbe waved at you, Ragnar sat beside your father with a heavy sigh. He smiled, gently pinching your nose in greeting.

"Hey, Ubbe!" Floki laughed, nudging your friends arm.

"Hello, Floki!" The 4 year old boy smiled.

"We've kind of missed you." Ragnar said to Floki, smiling as you pushed his hand away.

"Well, I've been busy like a dwarf, building your new boats, Ragnar Lothbrok. Even in the ice and the snow." Floki said, sipping more ale from his horn.

"Your father's so busy, little Astrid, yet he still has so much time to complain." Ragnar said causing both you and Ubbe to giggle as you looked to the man.

"The boats are nearly finished." Floki whispered. "I think we all want to know where we'll be raiding this summer."

"Every year, your people wonder when you will order another raid West and every year you disappoint them." Torstein spoke up, earning a nod of agreement from your father.

"I've even heard some people say that Earl Ragnar is becoming like Earl Haroldson." Floki said

"Let me put their minds at ease." Ragnar smirked, looking to Ubbe as he spoke.

"You should." Floki nodded.

Ragnar stood, taking Ubbe with him as he moved towards his large seat at Aslaug's side. Ubbe huffed as the man dropped him to his feet, already bored without his best friend or his little brother at his side.

"Welcome, everyone!" Ragnar greeted as he faced his people. "As you all know, it has taken a long time to prepare ourselves. To build our ships, and to replace the young men and women that we lost to the plague. But now? Now, we are ready! This summer, we shall finally go west again."

The crowd began cheering and clapping, most slamming their horns together until Ragnar spoke again

"We will return to England, for that land was so... generous for us the last time." Ragnar laughed, the people joining him as they remembered how easy it had been to obtain so many riches. "But this time, we shall not go alone. For King Horik and Jarl Borg have agreed to join us. And perhaps we will not have to return so quickly, but stay in their land for a while, explore it. Maybe we'll even winter there. Who knows? But, I tell you, these are interesting times. The world is changing and we must change with it. We must act together, for everyone's sake. Now that I have put your minds to rest, who is hungry?"

Cheers and shouts of agreement and happiness rung throughout the hall as the feast began.

-

You peeked out from behind the doorway as King Horik entered the Great Hall, tilting your head as you laid eyes on him. The man was not as tall as you had expected. He was also plump, had long hair and a full beard. Wearing a fancy tunic, the man grinned as he made his way towards Ragnar.

"King Horik!" Your Uncle greeted. "Welcome indeed."

The two men embraced, clapping each other on the back as Horik spoke. "Earl Ragnar, my great friend."