-Chapter Sixteen-

Start from the beginning

"Y'all needed something else?" He asked as he sat the box down.

"No," I eyed him because he was acting weird. "We're just going to put this stuff away."

"Aight," He said as he kissed Tati's cheek and then walked out of the dressing room closing the door behind him.

"Is it just me, or was that shit weird?" I asked Tati.

"Naw something is definitely off." She mumbled as she opened the box.

I walked over to the closet and noticed that we were out of hangers. "We need hangers."

"Some should've came in the shipment last night."

"Okay, I'll go look."

I exited the dressing room and made my way down the hall to the inventory closet. As I got nearer to the closet, I could hear some shuffling going on in the meeting room next door and voices talking at a low volume. Instead of walking in the closet as I should've, I peeked my head around the corner to see what was going on in the room.

The door was barely cracked and the room was dark so I couldn't see everything that was going on in there, but what I did see horrified me. There was a man, visibly beaten up, laying on the floor with tape around his mouth and his hands and feet tied together. As soon as the man made eye contact with me he started fidgeting around and trying to scream, but obviously, it was muffled by the duck tape over his lips. The door slammed shut and I quickly turned around and slid into the closet. Half a second later the light in the closet flicked on and someone was grabbing my arm.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I heard Clifford's voice booming from behind me. Shit.

I turned around to face a very pissed-off Clifford. His eyebrows were furrowed together and his eyes were dark.

"I- Nothing, I was just looking for some hangers." I looked away from him.

"Cheyenne..." Clifford took a breath trying to calm down.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't even thinking," I mumbled as I looked down at my feet. Why did my dumb ass have to be so nosey?

"You and Tati need to go home, now." He pulled me by arm from out of the closet. "Tyreek shouldn't have even let y'all come in here right now." He went on, obviously very upset.

"Baby I'm sorry, I didn't even see anyt-"

"Save it Chey, Imma see you later." He shook his head before leaving me in front of the dressing room.

"We gotta go," I said as I entered the room.

"What happened?" Tati raised her eyebrow as she looked up from her phone.

"I think I saw some shit I wasn't supposed to see," I shook my head. "But Clifford wants us to leave."

"Okay, then let's go," She grabbed her purse. "We'll come back for this stuff tomorrow."

Tati and I went back to her house and I sighed as I plopped down on the couch. My mind was racing a mile a minute. I honestly couldn't even comprehend what I saw in that dark room. I was hoping that I was just imagining shit.

———

When Tyreek came in the house he stood in the doorway and nodded at me. "Cliff is outside Chey."

I had hoped that  Clifford didn't chew Reek out but from the look on his face, I could tell that he did.

I took that as my cue to grab my stuff and head out. "Call me tomorrow Tati," I said before closing the door. I held my breath as I approached Clifford's truck and climbed inside. He didn't say anything or even look at me before reversing out of the driveway.