☪ | kurama

' kurama '

naruhina-oneshot 11.

* major boruto manga and anime spoilers ahead

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Uzumaki Naruto had lost a lot in his life.

He'd also gained a lot and said goodbyes and watched a world get its closest to ending. He grew up without his biological parents, but met men who could've been his father and women who could care for him. He fought enemies, made them friends. He made friends that became enemies. He fathered a son who loved him until he despised him (and then loved again), carried a baby girl in his arm(s), and took care of a village that once turned its back on him.

There were very few constants in Uzumaki Naruto's life.

One of which was his beliefs. His ninja way remained anchored in his heart no matter the time he watched go by. Naruto never gave up and he never went back on his word. He sought peace over all.

Uzumaki Hinata was the second constant in his life. And until that day, she thought she was the second and last. Naruto didn't have the luxury of consistency. Konoha was growing, changing. Generations were fading as new ones came to be, and Naruto was seated in the middle of it all, a conductor for a particularly complex orchestra.

The third constant of his life often slipped Hinata's mind.

Kurama. He'd been there since Naruto's day of birth, when he grew and fell and grinned. And although he hadn't always made himself known (and wasn't exactly the kindest), he was Naruto's anchor. When Naruto sat in the middle of the village as head, Kurama sat in his heart as a source of comfort, strength, and familiarity.

Hinata never considered the possibility that they'd have to say goodbye.

Naruto had, it seemed.

Out of the four men who'd been in that fight, he seemed to have the life sucked out of him the most when Hinata showed up at the hospital. He didn't open his eyes, or speak to her or say anything, but she could tell.

It'd been a blur from the moment he woke up. Hinata didn't have a chance to see him. She knew they were in the midst of something huge, something that surrounded her family especially. She was worried for Boruto, of course, but her thoughts were currently concerning her husband.

He wore a stern face for so long. Hinata waited with Himawari for much too long, until the immediate danger had ceased and, for the time being, Konoha was safe.

She and Naruto were allowed one moment together.

He cracked, in that one moment. The situation had demanded his attention, and he'd been left and right setting things straight for the village and his son, as well for the boy they'd only just met.

But his heart had eventually circled back to its grief, and his head followed.

Hinata lingered as the last of his responsibilities for the night left him alone. Shikamaru was busy in the archive, Sasuke was home for the night, and Boruto had left hours ago with his sister and Kawaki in tow. Naruto was alone for the first time in days. She waited just until the end of his smile faded and his head was in his hands, and then she enveloped him in her arms.

"I'm sorry," were the first words that left his mouth. Tired, quiet, and so, so small. Hinata drew close and set her fingers in his hair.

There was absolutely no reason for him to apologize, but she supposed Naruto had never really learned that vulnerability with her was okay. He needed time. She needed to listen, first.