18 - i remember tears streaming down your face when i said i'll never let you go

Start from the beginning

I took a deep breath as I got into the driver's seat and checked through the rear-view mirror to make sure my bodyguard, Terry, had made it into his own car.

After numerous terrifying stalking experiences and break-ins in my apartment in New York, I'd decided to get a bodyguard while on set. It helped me relax a bit and enjoy my time instead of having to worry as much as I usually would. I mean I was still worrying, but there would probably never be a time when I was completely free from my worries.

Usually on my birthday, I would spend it out with my friends or with my family, but this year I was spending it alone with Joe. My mom had meant to fly over here but her dog, Kitty, got a stomach bug and she couldn't leave her.

I didn't mind spending my birthday alone with Joe though. Honestly, I could use some downtime to unwind after working my ass off with the movie, the tour and also my new album that I officially started recording a couple of weeks ago in New York.

My phone was connected to the car by bluetooth, and I used Siri to call Joe.

"Hi, love," he said after picking up, and I heard him smiling.

"Hey! Just letting you know that I'm off now and on my way home. Are you there?"

A blue idiot came speeding past me and made a quick turn into my lane without any forewarning. I silently cursed him under my breath but I couldn't stay mad for long when I heard Joe's sweet voice.

"Yep, I'm here."

"Okay, great. See you in a bit then. Love you."

"I love you too."

I let him hang up as I focused my attention on the road, but accidentally let my mind wander to plan what I would do when I got home. First thing I'd do was go give Joe the biggest hug and maybe a kiss if he was lucky. Then I'd go take a hot shower, and after that I'd let Joe decide. Maybe we'd watch a movie and eat some birthday cake? Or maybe we'd do something completely different...

I snapped my attention back to the traffic when someone behind me honked, but I was pretty sure it wasn't directed at me.

***

"Joe! I'm home!" I called out, putting my purse down on the wooden floor and stepping out of my black high heels. When I didn't hear him respond, I started making my way into the apartment, sliding my hand against the cold, white wall for support.

He wasn't in the kitchen, okay. Then maybe...? Nope, not in the living room either. My eyes widened when I realized what was happening. The bedroom! I hurried into the bathroom downstairs to check how I looked, and wiped away smudged mascara under my right eye.

I was on my way toward the stairs when I suddenly heard footsteps coming from the floor above and I stopped to listen. That was definitely Joe but... he wasn't alone. There were too many footsteps for it to be one person, but who could it be? Maybe my mom had figured out a way to leave Kitty after all?

My questions were answered literally a second later when I heard someone suppress a laugh and mumble a sorry. As soon as I heard the voice, I knew immediately who was there and a wide grin replaced my previously confused look.

I watched as Joe came into view but he didn't notice me at first, and following him was no other than Skye. Unlike my inattentive boyfriend, Skye's dark blue eyes landed on me as soon as they came into view.

"Skye! What are you doing here!?" I yelled excitedly as she slipped down the rest of the steps and sprinted into my arms. Behind her back I met Joe's eyes, and he was grinning over at us. This must've been his handiwork. I had no idea how he managed to make me fall more in love with him every passing day, but somehow he did.