Chapter 25

Daan

I finally wake up with a bright light in my face as I squint my eyes to try to adjust. I look around and realize where I am.

No no no.

I look over to see a sobbing Beth, and I start to scream and cry.

She rushes over to me to calm me, but I can barely hear her.

"Shhh." she calms me down.

"But our b-babies." I sob. "They are born way t-to e-early."

"I know babe, I know. But they had to be born to save them."

"Have you seen them yet?" I asked still in tears.

Beth sighed.

"Everything went very quickly when they were born. But I saw one of them. The other was taken away immediately."

Before I could say anything, a few doctors walked in.

One of them put an incubator next to my bed. And there she was, our little Riley Faye.

"She's perfect." I sob and Beth sits down next to me on the bed. We both just stare at her.

After a while I looked up and the doctors were still in our room.

"What's wrong?" I asked confused, everyone looked at each other as if they are debating who should tell me.

"Where is she?" I demanded angrily.

I didn't mean to sound aggressive but something bad has obviously happened, I can see it on all their faces.

Beth took my hand in hers.

"Your other baby is coming soon, but-..." started one of the doctors.

Before she had finished her sentence, a doctor came and pushed an incubator inside.

In the incubator, I saw the smallest baby I've ever seen. I could hear her slow heartbeat and watched her chest rise slowly up and down.

"What's wrong with her?" I asked hoarsely. My little girl looks so helpless and there's nothing I can do.

"While she was in the womb she didn't get the amount of blood or food that she needed, due to that she is very small and very weak right now." Sarah, one of the doctors, sadly told me.

"Will she be okay?" I choked out.

I could see the sadness in her eyes.

"She has a 50/50 chance of surviving." She said sorrowfully

Me heart broke within that second, our little girl might not live...

"She's a fighter and with enough blood and care she will beat this. She has to stay in the incubator till she is bigger, so unfortunately you can't hug her. But you can touch her through the holes on the side." Said Sarah, while giving us a small smile.

"Since your other daughter is already more developed and bigger, you can take her in your arms."

We both nodded, and she walked away.

Beth walked to Riley's incubator and opened it carefully. So she could take her out.

We took a seat next to our other little girl and I put my hand in the incubator and held her tiny little hand. It was so small and weak, making my heartache for her.

"Welcome to the world, Elynn Jane." I said softly.

"They look so much like you, babe." Beth admired, gently stroking Riley's forehead as she slept.

"I can't believe they are exactly here." I sighed, staring intently at our babies, feeling so much love.

"They're just perfect..." Beth whispered.

"I'm so exhausted." I murmured with a massive yawn, stroking the top of Elynn's head.

"Aw get some sleep babe, I'll be right here when you wake up."

"Mkay." Beth smiled lovingly at me.

Moving to the bedside chair, Beth got comfortable and kept Riley close to her chest.

She reached forward and took my hand in her own, tracing shapes over the back of my hand till I fell into needed sleep.

Thanks for reading this! I really appreciate it. If you liked it let me know in the comments and vote.
If you have any ideas let me know in the comments or in dm.
Xx