His face almost completely covered in the shadows of the small space. I could feel the heat from his body slowly seeping into mine as I began to realize just how cold the early mornings were and I suddenly became aware of every part of us that were touching.

"I'm only going to ask this one time, what are you doing here?" his voice a steady sound in my ears as I struggled with the words to explain the situation. His words from the night before still fresh in my mind sent a thread of anger streaming through me.

"None of your concern." I bit out, turning my head upwards to stare into his eyes as his body towered over me. "The things I do in my spare time are of no bother to you."

I squinted my eyes as I stared into the now emerald green eyes that stared back at mine. It was the only shock I would let show before neutralizing my face once more.

A hint of rage flashed through his eyes, a muscle twitching in his jaw as he said "When you go sneaking around my mother's garden in my palace at this time in the morning, it is of concern to me. Now get out."

"I was already planning to if you would remove the hand that is currently pinning me to the wall." I finished, his black hair framing the edge of his face as his head leaned closer.

He stayed there for a minute, almost debating if anything more would come from the encounter, his eyes flicking from mine to my lips and after a few more seconds he pushed himself off the wall.

His eyes scanned my body, as I shifted on my feet; the feeling of his eyes lingering on my shoulders and face sending heat through my body.

A ghost of a smile appeared on his face but was quickly replaced by a cold stare at the strap that rested upon my cloak.

"Where are you going?" he spat.

"Like I said, none of your concern." I countered, brushing past him expecting him to stop me but, he didn't. He let me walk away and a part of me wishes he hadn't. A part of me wanted him to ask me to stay or to press further on where I was going, to show me a sign of the humane side of him I so badly wanted to believe was just buried under the surface.

I could still feel his stare burning through my shoulder as I made it through the tunnel before he finally let that anger I knew was growing inside him out, "If I were you I wouldn't bother coming back for a while or at all even. Go find another family to rip apart, if yours and mine weren't enough."

His words struck home, it was a low blow and he knew it but I didn't let it show until I was completely out of view from him.

My shoulders slumped forward as I continued walking, not hearing if anyone called my name or noticed when I left.

He was hurting inside, and as much as I tried to convince myself that he was just trying to hurt me to make himself feel better or to try and make me feel just as bad he felt right now— there's always some truth to every lie.

I pushed open the doors and began walking and walking and walking. I didn't stop until the palace and village surrounding it were a good distance away before I slumped to the ground and stayed there.

There were no tears left. What he said hurt me but I didn't know how to show it. I wanted to cry but I couldn't, I wanted to be mad and scream but no sound would escape my mouth. So I sat there, my knees pulled to my chest, and stared at nothing, listening to nothing. I took my hair out from where I tied it back and let it flow in the wind around me.

An hour had passed before my butt had numbed from staying in the same position for too long, so I continued on my way. The forest went on for miles, the smell of pine scent flowing through the air.