96

The mission seemed to be going well. Far too well.

It was eerie, everyone constantly waiting to get attacked as they delved further and further into the play structure. The bright colours of the structure contrasting with the dark 'vines' just made it even worse. It was too quiet, too relaxed. The only sound that could be heard was different members of the team cursing as they tried to fit through small spaces that weren't designed for adults. The 'vines' seemed to be getting thicker and thicker as they explored deeper, and weird puddles of a blue liquid became more common on the ground. There were creatures living here, but nobody knew where. Everyone was constantly on edge.

Well, everyone except y/n.

Y/n was in her own little world, dancing around to her music as she planted the tiny bombs in every place that she could. If she was actually paying attention, y/n would've realised that she'd walked past quite a few of the creatures, but she wasn't. She was too busy dancing around with her eyes shut. If they wanted to attack, they would've by now. Y/n was light on her feet as she danced about, conveniently missing the weird puddles and the 'vines' by about an inch. They'd been specifically instructed not to touch the vine-like tendrils - it was too dangerous of a risk if the species was aggressive. Y/n was lucky that she was missing them, if Peter was there he would've definitely tripped over one of them by now.

Y/n backed into one of the 'rooms' in the play structure, her eyes shut as she danced around, tossing the tiny bombs around every now and again. She was lip-syncing along to the song blasting on her earphones as she danced, acting as if she was in the music video. Y/n would've sung along if she could, but she knew that it probably wasn't a good idea in the middle of an alien nest. Well, dancing wasn't a good idea either, but y/n was just going to ignore that. She reached down, picking up what she thought was a toy as she used it as a microphone for her lip-syncing. She was having a great time, a bright smile on her face as she danced. It would've been better if Peter was there, but this was still fun. However, her enjoyment was quickly cut short as she suddenly backed into... someone?

Y/n's eyes shot open, quickly jumping away from whoever she'd backed into. She turned to face who it was, her eyes wide as she half expected it to be Steve. But, it wasn't. It was a complete stranger. Y/n glanced down at her hands, a look of disgust on her face as she realised that she hadn't picked up a toy. She'd picked up an alien. It had the shape of a tiny T-Rex, except it was oozing with the same blue liquid from the vines. Disgusting, but seemingly not hostile. Y/n quickly dropped the alien, watching as it scurried away and out of the 'room'. Once the alien was gone, her attention was diverted back to the stranger stood just a few feet away. Her shocked look turned to one of defensiveness and anger as she quickly grabbed her pistol, aiming it at the man. "Who the hell are you?" Y/n snapped, debating on reaching up to earpiece and alerting the rest of the team.

But, the man seemed to be as shocked as she was. He had picked up an alien like a microphone, too. And he had music blasting in his headphones, too. Yes, his headphones were much more old fashioned, but they were headphones. Y/n and the stranger had both been dancing around the play structure, they just managed to back into one another. The man quickly pulled his headphones off, letting them rest around his neck, the music still playing as he kept his eyes on y/n. "Oh, so we're doing it like this?" He said in a threatening tone, a similar defensive look on his face. He quickly pulled out his own gun, pointing it at y/n - but, it wasn't a gun she recognised, it was almost as if it was from outer space. Why did a human have a gun from space? "The name's Starlord. Who the hell are you?"

Y/n rolled her eyes, widening her stance slightly as she prepared to shoot the guy. She wasn't in the mood for made-up names, she'd heard enough from the team, she didn't need more from random stranger. "Well, if you're using a fake name, then so am I. The name's Mimic." Y/n smirked, just teasing Starlord's stupid name. Of course she didn't actually call herself 'Mimic', she didn't want a hero name like that. She preferred her own name, especially after being names 'Soldier' for so long. "Now, why're you here? This is a restricted area." Y/n snapped, her smirk dropping back into an angry glare.

Starlord raised his eyebrows at y/n's teasing, keeping his gun pointed at her. "Mimic? Really? What's your special power, mocking everyone?" He teased back, tilting his head to the side with a smirk. "Why would I ever tell you my real name, anyway? I don't want anyone coming to find me after I shoot you." Starlord snapped confidently, charging up his gun. Damn, he really had no clue about y/n's powers.

Y/n scoffed slightly at the threat, glancing around as if to check she'd heard him correctly, but of course they were the only two people in the 'room'. "Don't make fun of my name if you don't even know who I am. Because I really doubt that you're the 'Lord of all stars'." Y/n quickly snapped back, not even realising that Starlord had avoided her previous question. "If you want to shoot me, go for it! What's the worst that could happen, hey? It's not like we're stood in an alien's nest, and a loud gunshot could probably wake them all up." She said sarcastically, setting her gun back into her holster. Instead, y/n begun to form two orbs of energy in her palms, ready to blast the man. "Do it. Shoot me. I'm in the mood for a fight." She smiled.

Starlord's eyes widened at the sight of the orbs in her palms, the grip on his gun beginning to falter slightly. Yeah, maybe she didn't just mock people. However, before he could speak, a voice from behind him caused the pair to freeze.

"Quill! What's going on?"