83

Everyone was okay. Beaten up and bruised, but okay. 

There was an odd tension in the air, and it wasn't because of the strong smell of smoke that lingered on everyone's clothes. Things weren't going to be the same for a while, and everyone knew that. Y/n almost killed them. Nobody really knew how to react. Usually y/n was the one to joke and make light of serious situations, and now nobody even wanted to look her in the eye. 

Natasha wasn't having it. Everyone in the team was supposed to be family, yet nobody except her came to check on y/n. Yes, y/n wasn't the most physically hurt, but her mind had just been stolen from her. She snapped out it whilst trying to kill her lover. Y/n was the victim, yet her name almost seemed to be a taboo to the rest of the team. So, once Natasha was sure that y/n had fallen asleep, she left to scold the team.

Steve was stood at the window to the lab, arms crossed over his chest as he watched Bruce and Dr Strange work on Bucky. He hated seeing his best friend like that, but he knew that Bucky was in the best care that he could possibly have. The surgery was a slow one, but it had to be. One wrong move could kill him. Steve sighed quietly, crossing his arms over his chest as he watched. He knew he wasn't supposed to be there, but he couldn't help it. The idea of his best friend dying hurt too much, especially if he died on the operating table. Bucky wouldn't have been able to say goodbye. Steve promised him that he was going to be okay. Best friends don't lie to one another. He begun to tear up slightly at the idea of it, taking in a shaky breath. "Come on, Buck. You can't leave me like this." He whispered to himself. However, before a tear could even fall, he felt his phone buzz. It was Natasha.

Natasha had texted the whole team, asking them to meet her in the kitchen for a quick chat. But, she hadn't actually told any of them that the rest of the team were going to be there. She knew better than that. Nobody would've turned up if they knew it was an impromptu meeting. So everyone was definitely a bit confused when more and more people made their way into the kitchen. 

Nat waited for everyone to turn up before she spoke. She was sat on the counter, a water bottle cupped in her hands. Like most of the team, Natasha was ready for bed, already in pyjamas. But that didn't dampen the serious look on her face. "What is this?" Tony asked with a frown, toothbrush in hand. Everyone seemed to hum in agreement, looking at Natasha expectantly. Natasha couldn't help but smile slightly out of frustration. She tilted her head to the side like a scolding mother as she looked at the rest of the team. "Are you guys forgetting anyone? You seemed to be eager to patch everyone else up and make sure they were okay earlier, but I think you forgot someone." She hummed, raising her eyebrows as she waited for an answer. Of course nobody gave her an answer, they just seemed to glance around at the rest of the team as if to check with the people that were already there. "Oh I don't know, maybe you're forgetting the person that we did all of this for? Y/n? Does that name ring any bells?" Nat asked sarcastically, rolling her eyes at the surprise on everyone else's faces. "Oh so you do know her! If you know y/n, why was I the only person to take care of her after this? Why was I the only person to speak to her? Why was I the only person to even approach her?" Natasha suddenly scolded, trying not to raise her voice but she couldn't help it. It annoyed her that the team had basically forgotten about y/n. It wasn't fair. "You could've left her in that field and none of you would've noticed. None of you." Natasha frowned, pointing out of the window as if to show that y/n could've still been outside. "Nat-" Steve tried to cut in, a frown on his face. He didn't like being accused and scolded like this. "No. Don't 'Nat' me. You don't have an excuse. None of you do. But you especially, Steve." She huffed, pointing toward Steve to shut him up. "You're supposed to be Bucky's best friend, yes? And who's Bucky's partner? Oh, I know. It's y/n! I understand needing to focus on him during the flight, but we're back at the compound now. There's nothing you can do. And I would've thought a best friend would've provided support to their partner, no?" Natasha scolded, an angry look on her face. She knew she was being ruthless, but it had to be said. "Tony. It was your idea to get us searching for y/n. Now she's home, and you haven't even been in the same room as her." Natasha frowned, nodding toward Tony. But, before he could begin to argue, Nat had changed her focus to someone else. "Sam. You were hyping her up and messing around earlier. Where's that energy now? Now you don't even make eye contact." She snapped, turning her attention to Wanda. Vision had an excuse, but she didn't. "Wanda. After everything you've done for y/n I would've never thought you'd refuse to talk to her. I saw that look you gave her. Now, I understand that Vision was suffering, but you can't blame y/n for that. We all know that y/n wasn't in control. Yet we're blaming her and avoiding her like she did it on purpose!" Natasha scolded in annoyance, throwing her hands up in the air slightly. Nat pushed herself off of the counter, heading toward the doorway. However, before she left, she turned around to face the team one more time. "We're supposed to be family. And here we are, singling a damaged person out. Do better." She snapped, closing the door once she stepped out.

Natasha never snapped like that. But she had to. She was protective over y/n. She'd just been through an unimaginably horrible experience, and the whole team was treating her like she was a monster. It wasn't right. Nat cursed quietly to herself out of frustration as she made her way toward y/n's room. She planned on sleeping in there with y/n tonight and for as long as she needed. There was no way she was letting y/n be on her own.