Mother Knows Best {James Potter}

It's the summer of 1980 and all was well. You, the Marauders, and all your friends had been graduated from Hogwarts for a few years now.

All of your lives were getting started and you didn't have all the time in the world to hang out with one another. But every summer, a group of you, both older adults and much younger adults, would get together to have supper.

Remus and Sirius were still flirting relentlessly as if they're still school kids trying to hint that one likes the other; as if they haven't been married for the past five months and are currently looking to adopt.

Peter was seeing a girl that came here from the states. You've met her once or twice. She's a chef. And very kind. Perfect for Peter.

Marlene was officially moving in with Dorcas. Alice and Frank had a new baby they were busy with. And Lily had gotten up the nerve to ask Mary out only a few weeks ago. Things were looking up for them.

You were happy for your friends and the lives they were forming. Now that didn't mean you weren't doing anything. No, you were quite busy. You and James had been married for two years now and you couldn't be happier. If only you were a little less tired, though it was worth it.

The day was shining and bright, not a cloud in the sky. There was a nice breeze to keep you all cool. You were all gathered at Euphemia and Fleamont's house for this get-together. Everyone was outside and messing around.

Currently you, Mia, Mcgonagall, Pomfrey, and Hope Lupin were all sitting by the tables drinking a cuppa. Mia had just scolded the boys, warning them not to go messing around in her flower bed. She had magical plants growing in there that could bite an arm off.

But they all watched in amusement as Sirius and Peter started wrestling and quickly fell into that same flower bed. You place a hand over your mouth to stop your laughter as James starts barking orders at them, grabbing their coats and yanking them back.

But you couldn't help yourself when a loud yelp escapes James as one of the plants grabs at his pant legs. The boys all start scrambling, grabbing onto James and tugging him back away from the plant.

It took all of them, plus Frank, to get James away from the plant. Sadly, the plant got the fabric of his trousers.

Mia sighing loudly broke your attention away from them. All the girls turned to look at her as she watched the boys.

"They never listen, do they?" She asks with amusement in her tone. She then looks to you all as if you have an answer. Mcgonagall snorts.

"Oh, definitely not," she chides, speaking from her vast experience. Pomfrey sets down her tea, leaning on her elbow to rub at her temple, also due to her vast experience.

"It's exhausting," she notes. Hope huffs, leaning back on her chair.

"Being a mom is hard," she says seriously, the evident worry lines etched on her forehead.

James plops down in the chair next to you, leaning his head on your shoulder as he sighs, looking at the boys as he does so.

"Tell me about it," he says, sounding exhausted. The girls laugh lightly as they look at him, you included. He reaches over and takes a swig of your refreshing lemonade. You smile softly, bringing your hand up to run it through his hair a few times, making him hum in content as he lays his head back against your shoulder.

"How about you give some love to your *actual* kid," you tease, looking over and rubbing your finger along baby Harry's cheek, causing him to start babbling. James jerks up, looking at you with furrowed brows.