"Dad. He's been placed on life support. They said we need to go to the hospital and say our goodbyes," my heart dropped and I pulled.him into a hug.

"Okay. Let's get everyone out and then we can head to the hospital."

"I hate that we have to cancel this day. You did an amazing job."

"Thank you, but this comes first. I'm so sorry that this is happening."

"Thank you for being here for me," I curled my fingers in his hair and focused on his breathing.

"Of course," we stood there in silence for a while. Cody opened the door and told us that everyone had gone home and that we should head to the hospital.

"Can you drive, Addy?" I nodded and Josh handed me the keys.

"We will meet you there," I told Mile and Cody, before following them down the street. I pulled into the parking lot and grabbed Josh's hand in mine. He was barely holding it together and I kept telling him that he didn't have to be strong. It was okay to cry. We walked through the doors and I saw his mom first, then it all hit me at once.

"What happened?" I asked Cody, but he couldn't speak, "Miles?"

"He has another stroke."

"Oh god," Josh sobbed and I held him tightly.

"He passed away," I could feel Josh crumbling next to me and he slipped onto the floor. I sat down next to him and he sobbed into my neck.

"I never got to say goodbye," I rocked him slowly and rubbed his back.

"I'm here. I'm so sorry, Josh," I whispered and looked up at Julia. She gave me a kind smile through her tears and held her other two sons closely. That night was really hard. Josh refused to sleep and he stayed up watching old recorded football games. I tried to help, but I didn't know how to.

"Do you want something to eat?" I asked and he shook his head.

"I'm fine. Get some sleep, Addy. I'll be there in a bit," I moved to hug him, but he moves away. I drop my arms and rub the back of my neck, "I'm sorry. I just need space," I nodded and walked down the hall. I closed the door and sat on the edge of the bed. I rubbed the spot where he kicked and let my own tears fall. I hate that I can't help him. I want to take his pain away, but I know that he just needs time to process.

The following week was Josh's makeup birthday dinner.

"We don't have to do this. We could wait longer," I stayed and Josh pulled me into a hug.

"I want to do this. I think we just need a day to be a family."

"Okay," he grabbed the keys and we headed out to see his mom. He parked in the driveway and his head fell against the headrest.

"I can't believe my Dad isn't going to be here," the air thickened with sadness and I looked at him.

"I wish I could change things," he nodded and squeezed my hand tightly.

"Me too," he opened his door and I followed him into the house.

"JD!" Julia pulled Josh into a tight hug and then grabbed the sides of his face.

"My boy is 26," I laughed at the embarrassment Josh was enduring and he wiggled out of her grasp.

"Mom," his face was bright red and Julia pulled me into a hug.

"Works every time," after dinner, Julia brought out a birthday cake for Josh.

"This cake is amazing, mom. You really outdid yourself this year," the front door opened and Miles walked in with Tori.