commander zhao

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

i'm addicted to you, don't you know that you're toxic?

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉

AIRI WAS SORE, even after Iroh had told her about a hot springs in the Fire Nation colony they were docked at. The ship was badly damaged after whatever fight had happened with the avatar, which Zuko still refused to say a word about. 

The sun burned her eyes and her head ached as she stepped out onto the uncovered deck.

"-we can't risk loosing his trail," Zuko finished, noticing Airi, but making no move to include her in the conversation. He started down the walkway leading to the docks. Iroh began to follow the prince, which meant that it was either stay with the crew or chance it with Zuko. Airi sighed and followed them both. 

"You mean the avatar?" Iroh asked, sounding disinterested as he looked around the dock.

"Don't mention his name on these docks!" Zuko whispered sharply, his arms flailing. "If the fire nation finds out he's alive, every firebender out there will be looking for him! I don't want anyone getting in the way!"

Airi sighed as the man in front of them turned around. Captain Zhao had always been a bit of a pain in her side. Part of him clearly envied her for her amicable reputation amongst the royal family, and another part of him seemed fascinated with her, whether it was because he respected the often disregarded power that Airi had or for other less than honorable reasons. 

"Get in the way of what, Prince Zuko?" Captain Zhao asked, at least somewhat diplomatically. 

"Captain Zhao," Zuko greeted, crossing his arms in contempt. Airi bowed slightly, her hand moving to nurse her head as she rose.

"It's commander now," Zhao corrected. "General Iroh and... the Princess' handmaiden."

"A pleasure to see you again, Commander Zhao," Airi smiled politely, tucking her hands away into her sleeves out of habit. 

"It is always a pleasure to see the Hero of our nation," Zhao said, acknowledging Airi's words with a smirk in her direction. 

"You're very kind, Commander Zhao, but I am retired, there's no need to call me general anymore," Iroh said, bowing and meaning every word he said. 

"The Fire Lord's brother and son are welcome guests anytime," Zhao said, brushing him off. "What brings you to my harbor?"

"Our ship is being repaired," Iroh explained gesturing back to the damaged ship. Airi couldn't help but tear her eyes off Zhao to look at the ship along with everyone else. 

"That's quite a bit of damage," Zhao said, eyebrows raising. 

"Yes," Zuko said, raising a finger. "You won't believe what happened. Uncle, tell the commander here what happened."

Iroh's eyes opened in surprise, not expecting to be addressed by his nephew. "Yes, I will do that. It was incredible," he turned to Zuko, his eyes begging for help. "What, did we crash or something?"

"Yes... right into an Earth Kingdom ship!" Zuko exclaimed panicked. Airi laughed politely.

"Commander Zhao, I believe Prince Zuko and General Iroh make this tale seem much more thrilling than in actuality," Airi smiled at Zhao, hoping he would believe her. "For those of us who were actually above deck-" Airi turned and smiled playfully at Iroh and Zuko, hoping they would go along with her- "it was less than thrilling."

"Well, you must regale me with all of the details none the less," Zhao said, clearly in disbelief of their story, smirking as he stepped towards Zuko. "Join me for a drink?"

"Sorry, but we have to go," Zuko said, grabbing Airi's arm in an attempt to shield himself from Zhao. Airi held back her eye roll with great difficulty. Zhao smiled in a manner that could only be described as evilly and began to walk away, leaving Airi with a pit in her stomach. She gently pushed Zuko's arm off of her.

Iroh stepped forward and grabbed Zuko's shoulder. "Prince Zuko, show Commander Zhao your respect," he said. "We would be honored to join you, Commander. Do you have any ginseng tea? It's my favorite."

"Perhaps I should return to the ship," Airi mentioned, not sure if Zhao wanted to stare at her more or if he would be offended by her presence. 

"Nonsense," Zhao replied. "You have my invitation." As soon as Zhao's back was turned, Zuko and Airi sent identical glares to Iroh for extending their time with the less than pleasant Commander Zhao.

𓆝𓆟𓆜𓆞𓆡

"You're okay!" Katara exclaimed, wrapping her arms around Aang as he sank onto Appa's back, exhausted. 

"Thanks for coming to save me guys," Aang sighed, settling into his seat at Appa's head, patting his furry companion with a smile. "And good job flying, Appa."

"How did you escape?" Sokka asked, clearly eager to be told some thrilling tale of how Aang had 'kicked some fire-nation butt'. Aang shrugged. 

"Remember the girl who was with ponytail guy?" Aang asked. Katara and Sokka both nodded unsure of where the story was going. "Well, her name is apparently Airi, and she sort of let me go."

"What?" Sokka said, scoffing in disbelief. "There's no way. She's fire-nation, there's no way she helped you. It was probably a trick, or something, a way for her to try and gain your trust so she could get information out of you."

"I don't doubt that she helped you, but for once, I'm with Sokka," Katara agreed. "It seems a little too good to be true to have someone trying to help you who's traveling with someone who's trying to capture you."

Aang shrugged. "I'm just telling it like it is. She told me where my staff was, cut my ties, and told me to knock her out."

"I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it," Katara decided, none of them really sure what exactly the fire-nation girl wanted. 

"Yeah," Sokka replied, though it was clear that he did not trust her no matter what she had done. 

"Come on, I want to take you guys to the Southern Air Temple," Aang said brightly, changing the subject, the unease making his own mind unsettled. He grinned as he thought about his home. "You're going to love it."

.·:*¨ ¨*:·.

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉written: 08/21/21edited:-word count: 1059

❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉
written: 08/21/21
edited:-
word count: 1059

an: i love iroh so much, he's truly the icon we all need. zhao on the other hand... either way, the story is picking up. also, i tried something else to try and put in some of the gaang's thought's about aang and airi's encounter, but i know that can come off clunky sometimes with the perspective change. i would love to know your thoughts on it and if it's something you would like to see in the future <3 
❉ ╤╤╤╤ ✿ ╤╤╤╤ ❉