Trust Me (Batsis)

Start from the beginning

He thought for a moment, then said, "Okay, then. I'm Robin. What's your name?"

"Um, it's—it...starts with um, a J, I think. I don't remember..."

"No way, me too!" he slapped a hand over his mouth, "Oops. Well, now we're not strangers anymore, so do you think you can you tell me what you're doing out here?"

"Um...I dunno..." she mumbled. At that point, he was starting to get a little annoyed; she was seemingly being stubborn, but not like most kids would be. It wasn't obvious, she seemed to genuinely not know the answers to the questions he was asking her. And then it hit him.

"Oh..." his eyes widened, "Hm. Well, can you tell me anything you do know?"

She grinned, "Uh-huh! I know I'm, um...this old!"

Like the boy, she represented her age on her hands, one with all fingers out and one with four.

"Nine?" he asked, and she nodded happily. Huffing, he ran a hand through his hair. This kid was young, and she knew nothing. What was he gonna do?

Worried, he asked, "Is that all you know?"

"Uh...yeah. And my cat—her name's Strip. I found her when I woke up on the street, one of the signs said Strip Joint. Hey, Joint—maybe that's my name! Then me and my cat could match!"

"NO—no," he stifled a laugh, "Something tells me that is not your name. Now, what do you mean you woke up on the street?"

"Huh? Oh. Right. Well, um, I woke up, and there was this HUGE building. It looked broken! There was a bunch of dust and stuff, and I remembered everything hurt. But when I woke up, Strip was there, licking my face! We've been together ever since. I think it was a few moons ago. Did you notice the moon keeps getting smaller?"

"I—yes—that's...what happens," he sighed, taking in the information, "And that's everything you know?"

"Yep," she turned her attention to the cat, stroking its head. Smiling, he stood and stuck out a hand.

"Well, how 'bout this. You come with me, and we can look for your parents together, okay? There's a very nice man I know who can help us. He may seen a little scary at first, but you just have to trust me. Does that sound good?"

The girl looked at him unsurely, "...Can Strip come?"

"Yes, Strip can come," he laughed at the name as she put his hand in his. He pulled her up, expecting her to let go of his hand once they were standing, but she didn't. She simply held onto him, her other arm holding Strip. Once he led her out of the alleyway, he glanced at her as the passed through a streetlight; her face was scratched up, and she had bruises all over. It really did look like she survived some sort of explosion.

"Strip and I have been on our own for a while," she said, snapping him out of his thoughts, "I feed her with what I can find. I think she likes you."

He glanced down at the cat that had finally opened her eyes and was staring at him, purring all the while.

"Haha, cute," he grinned, "Y'know what, though? You aren't alone anymore, 'cause you have me now. I promise I'll always be there to protect you, no matter what. 'Kay?"