Ever since Clifford and I had sex the dynamic of our situation has changed a lot. We didn't put a title on anything but it lowkey felt like a relationship. He was still depositing money in my account and everything but the way we interacted with each other gave boyfriend-girlfriend vibes, but I wasn't about to sit here and call a 40 year old man my boyfriend.

—————

In the morning I cleaned up my dorm room before my parents got there. I made sure to hide all of the gifts Clifford bought me because I wasn't trying to get questioned about how I could afford this stuff.

My mom called letting me know they were downstairs and I went outside to let them in.

"My baby," My mom grinned as she wrapped her arms around me.

"Hey mama! Hey Daddy!" I hugged them both. My dad kissed me on my forehead.

"Y'all coming up?"

"Yeah we can for a second."

"How has it been in here since the last time? I know you said your roommates were loud and it was hard for you to study in here." My mom asked as we walked into my suite.

"Yeah, it's kind of still the same." I opened the door to my room letting them in.

"But you're doing okay in your classes right?" My dad asked.

"Yeah, but I was kind of thinking about getting an apartment for next semester." I admitted nervously.

"An apartment? You think you're ready for that?"

"Yeah," I shrugged. "I don't see why not."

"I know you're responsible enough, but how are you going to afford an apartment Chey?" My dad raised his eyebrows and crossed his arms.

"Daddy I still been working. I don't spend money on food cause I eat on campus for free." And Clifford feeds me. "So I've been able to save up my checks." And the $5,000 I was getting a month.

He nodded his head, still looking unsure. "Well let's talk about it some more before we start looking around."

There was really nothing to talk about. Next month I will be 21 years old, I don't need to keep running all my life decisions by my parents first.

I just let that conversation go because I wasn't in the mood to argue with my father today.

"Well I am starving, let's go get some food." My mom stood from where she was sitting on my bed.

We went to a soul food spot not too far from campus and got a table.

"So what's new?" My mom asked. "Any boys?" She grinned.

I laughed at her and shook my head. "No ma." Technically Clifford is not a boy.

"Yeah keep it that way." My dad chuckled.

"Dad please." I rolled my eyes bumping him playfully.

I think because I'm an only child my parents are super protective over me and still see me as their little girl even though I am literally grown. My parents had me a little late in life by today's standards, my dad was 35 and my mom was 33. They had plans for me and my life since the day they got married. I always wanted to do everything to make them proud and I've always been scared to go against what I knew they wanted, until recently.