Chapter 16

We ran faster as we saw two other arrows hitting a tree above our heads. It was raining so the ground was very slippery and Kate fell as we ran down a small hill in the forest.
"Fuck, AVA RUN!" she yelled but I stopped and turned around. "I won't go without you." I said and helped her standing up but someone stood behind us.

"Stay where you are." a man stood behind us and pointed a crossbow at us. "Daryl where are you?" I heard someone yell in the distance. "I'm over here. I found two girls." the man named Daryl said. "Woah there you are. Why are you running away from me?" a woman with shorter grey hair asked.

Kate and I sat on the ground and we watched them arguing. "Well you can see that I found those two girls here." the man said again and looked at us.

"Who are you?" he asked. "We should ask you the same question. Why are you shooting at us?" I asked and he raised an eyebrow. "Well we saw you." he started to say but got cutt off. "YOU saw them." the woman said. "Oh Carol come on. Well I saw you and your friend here in our area." he said. "The fuck?" Kate asked and looked at the two people.

"In your...area?" I asked and giggled. "Yes." the man said proudly. "Well great that we're in a zombie apocalypse and areas don't exist anymore." I winked and Kate and the woman giggled. "What's your name?" he asked, the crossbow still over us. "At first, you could lower your crossbow we won't hurt ya." Kate said. "Right." I agreed. "Well then lay your weapons on the ground, I know that you have knives with you and I won't risk my life here because I lower my bow but you two still have weapons." he said and we nodded.

We laid all our knives on the ground, even the ones in our boots. The woman started laughing. "Well that's a lot of knives you have there." she said and we nodded. "Of course, you don't know if you need some when you're in danger." I said. "Could you lower your bow now?" Kate asked and the man lowered it.

"Well now that we're finished with that...what's your name?" he asked. "I'm Ava and this is my best friend Kate." I said and she nodded. "Nice to meet you. I'm Daryl, this over here is my uhm also best friend Carol." Daryl said and Carol looked at him shocked. "Best friends? What are you, 10?" Carol asked and Daryl rolled his eyes. "Uh forget it" Daryl said and Kate and I laughed. After that we shook hands with them.  "How long have you guys been out here and why?" Carol asked.

"Well as the shit started we were on a walk. My Mum died...and..." I said but I remembered my Mum.

"Well her Mum got bit and we wanted to search her boyfriend. He broke up with her but they still love each other. Then we wanted to search our best friend Luke, but when we found him he was already dead...now we're just searching for a safe home." Kate finished for me because I cried.

"Well that's fucked up shit." Daryl said and we nodded. "I'm sorry for your Mum and best friend. We also lost many people." Carol said. "I guess in an apocalypse it's normal to lose people." I said and Daryl and Carol nodded.

Carol and Daryl looked at each other for a few seconds and Carol nodded. "How many walkers have you guys killed?" Daryl asked. "Uhm, not sure...50?" I said. "I didn't kill that much, maybe 30" Kate replied. "How many people have you killed?" Carol asked. "None. They were already dead." I said and Kate nodded. "Why?" Daryl asked. "There was no need to kill people. Like I said...they were ready some of those walkers." I said.

"Okay. Me and Carol here live in a community called Alexandria, we're always searching for more people for going out on runs and other stuff." Daryl said. "Is it huge? And safe?" Kate asked and Carol and Daryl nodded in sync.

"We will take you both with us and introduce you to my brother and leader. I'm sure he will let you both stay at our community." Daryl said and Kate and I smiled at each other. "Okay, sure. We will be on our best behaviour. Thank you so much Daryl and Carol." I said and I helped Kate standing up.