4: A Visitor from Zigan

A brisk knock on the door woke Kyoshi. She sat upright, Rangi sliding off of her chest and onto one of the many colorful pillows that adjourned the large circular bed that sat in the middle of Kyoshi's bedroom. The firebender nuzzled further into the piles of fabric, still exhausted from the trip to Ba Singe Se that they had only just returned from some hours earlier.

The civil unrest was worrying, to say the least. People in the lower ring were growing agitated. Something would have to be done about it soon. If only Kyoshi knew what that something was. Perhaps she would call on Lao Ge for his advice, or attempt to reach one of her past lives on the matter.

Another round of knocks reminded Kyoshi why she sat rubbing her eyes. She slid out of bed and pulled on the green robe that Rangi had given her during their first visit to Gaoling together. It was a soft cotton, with the edges done in a dull golden-green silk. It was one of the only garments that travelled with her everywhere. 

She stuffed her feet into a pair of slippers and hurried to the door before they could knock again and wake the firebender sleeping in her bed. 

"Avatar Kyoshi," Kami bowed deeply. "I apologize for waking you so early. Auntie Mui says it's important, and that you need to be in your office."

"Ok." Kyoshi said, pushing an errant hair from her face. She would need to brush it before going to meet with Auntie. It hadn't taken Mui and Hei Ran long to raise the place up to nearly its old activity levels, and it was unlikely that the halls would be empty. The Avatar's mansion had been rebuilt after her battle with Yun many years ago, its colors returned and its grounds kept neat again. She couldn't have done it herself. Were it not for the help of those who had remained while she was away, she wouldn't have even known where to start. 

Kyoshi eyed the girl in front of her, skeptical of the early hour. "You should go get some breakfast." 

"I already did!" The girl laughed. 

Despite living at the mansion for months, the girl had barely put on any weight. At first, Kyoshi had been worried that she hadn't been being fed. After spending some time with the girl, she ruled that out. The child ate the same amount as any adult  member of the household staff.

"Well then go into one of the store rooms and find a new pair of shoes if you can. You've almost grown out of those." She could see the uncomfortable wriggling of the girls toes, knowing the feeling of ill-fitting shoes all. Kyoshi's size meant that all too often the gifts that were brought by visiting masters and sages who had never met the Avatar in the flesh before ran much too small, at the advantage that meant keeping a stock of fine shoes and clothes for those who might need them. She had gifted several pieces to household staff on occasion. 

"Ok!" The girl bounced down the hall, a smile lighting up her face. "I'll see you later Miss Kyoshi!"

Kyoshi waited for her to turn the corner before sneaking back into her bedroom. Rangi was still enveloped in pillows, snoring softly.

It had been 5 months since they'd brought Kami back to the mansion. There still wasn't any word of a relative to take the girl in. By her word, her parents were dead, and Kyoshi certainly wasn't going to leave the girl on the streets to starve.

• • •

The halls were alive this morning, more so than they had been in the past few months. The morning sun kissed Kyoshi's cheeks as she walked past lively housekeepers - smiling at the Avatar as they hurried past, carrying large baskets of linens. Preparing the guest rooms for something big?

Kyoshi came to a stop in front of the agape doors that used to lead to her office. Thanks to her deceased benefactor, the wealth of knowledge hidden behind this door - and every door in the mansion - belonged to Kyoshi. Who still wasn't completely happy about the arrangement.