Chapter 47 - The Final Battle

I watched as my parents fended off Bellatrix, but it was ultimately Aunt Molly that delivered the killing shot. Good, I'm glad she's dead now. The same could not be said for Voldemort as the Professors were still firing spells at him at the opposite end of the battlefield. 

In the midst of the battle, I had lost sight of Hermione and Ron as well. While scampering to find them, a spell grazed my shoulder as it flew past me. Whipping around, I saw Lucius Malfoy followed closely by Narcissa. Fury shone in his eyes as he advanced on me.

"You." He growled. "If it hadn't been for you, we would not have had to suffer!" He fired a spell at me. 

I jumped aside. "No, you suffered because of yourself, and Draco shouldn't have had to suffer with you!" I cast a shielding charm just as Lucius shot a hex my way.

Narcissa held back from the fight. Of course she would. She loved her son. And Draco loved me. She seemed anxious as her eyes flickered from person and person around us, probably looking for Draco. "Lucius..." she began, grabbing his armed hand. Lucius shook her off but ceased firing at me.

"You were supposed to be enemies. He hated you the first two years, always standing up for Harry Potter." Lucius snarled. 

I stood my ground. "Yes, we did hate each other, but things change, Lucius."

"Nothing needed to be changed between us Malfoys and Whitewings! You manipulated my son into loving you!" Lucius fumed. "Stupefy!"

"Expelliarmus!" I shouted and our attacks collided, sending me backwards. I had barely recovered before Lucius fired an unforgivable curse.

"Cr-c-crucio!" He hesitated.

I jumped out of the way, but tripped over my foot and slammed backwards into the debris. Pain seared through me as I bit back another whimper of pain. Lucius's shadow fell over me. "Draco would've been better off without you." 

"Expeliarmus!" someone shouted, disarming Lucius, sending the wand in his hand flying into the scattered debris.

Narcissa gasped. "Draco!"

I flinched as Draco rushed over to me, keeping his wand raised. "You're okay?" I gasped.

"You're asking me if I'm okay? Look at yourself, Cress! Don't worry, I'm here to protect you." Standing up he pointed his wand at his father, furious. "Why did you attack her? No one hurts her."

Lucius backed away, shocked. "Draco, she a curse to our family. Have you forgotten that her family was the one that sent me to Azkaban?"

"Cress, to me, is also family. And were they wrong to put in you in Azkaban? I don't think so." Draco shot back. 

"Lucius, don't..." Narcissa tugged at her husband's arm. Lucius stared at Draco in disbelief before a spell blasted him sideways.

"Stay away from my daughter, Malfoy" my mother growled as she advanced on Lucius, the fury in her eyes was deathly. I had never seen my mother so mad before and she looked, least to say, scary.

Narcissa backed away, although wand still drawn, as she rushed over to help her husband up. Lucius grimaced as he stood, fear and disbelief etched into his face but he did not flee.

My parents then pointed their wands at me, but I realized it was because Draco still stood with me. I stepped in front of him. "No, don't hurt Draco, mother," I pleaded, not sure if my mother's fury would get the best of her.

"Why do you still go back to him even after he broke your heart?" My mother disappointedly asked, lowering her wand.

I sighed. Not this again. Not in the middle of a battle. "For the same reason that Snape's loyalty lies with Dumbledore and not Voldemort. For the same reason Voldemort couldn't kill a baby Harry. For the same reason that you and father are together." I felt Draco squeeze my hand as our fingers intertwined. "I love him. I truly do."