💜 The Dog 💙

"Come on, just tell me!"

"Babe, you know that ruins the entire point of a surprise," Josuke laughed, his mouth cracking into an amused grin. "We're gonna be at my place in like, two seconds. Relax."

Okuyasu huffed. Ever since that morning, when Josuke had pulled him aside with the promise of an "awesome surprise" waiting for him after school, Okuyasu had been antsy with anticipation. Big or small, Josuke's surprises were always incredible, be they an extra scoop of strawberry chocolate-chip ice cream or a "bromantic" (as they'd described it) date night at Tonio's. The last time Josuke had surprised him was with an unsupervised long weekend at the Higashikata house, courtesy of Tomoko's annual teacher's convention and multiple orders of Domino's pizza.

Sure, Okuyasu gave plenty of impromptu gifts to his boyfriend — engagement ring Ring Pops and recently picked flowers from the lawn — but Josuke's surprises were like distinctive moments in time, ceremonies to be treasured. Maybe it was because Okuyasu grew-up in a household where gestures of affection were few and far between, receiving neither simple good morning hugs nor backyard birthday parties with ice cream cake.

At times, he didn't believe he was entirely deserving of the things Josuke gave him, despite how many times Josuke had held him and said, "You're so nice and you're so smart." But he was gradually coming to accept that these were things, these acts of love and kindness, that he had the right to experience. Still, no matter how small a surprise from Josuke could be, Okuyasu anticipated any and all of them with an eager heart.

Thus, he spent most of the school day throwing out guess after guess as to what the surprise could possible be. As it turned out, fifty guesses of " Donkey Kong 64 " wasn't the answer, nor was fifty guesses of "are you sure it isn't Donkey Kong 64 ?".

The second half of the school day was spent utilizing his most powerful ability (second to The Hand of course) — pouting. Pouting usually worked wonders on Josuke, eliciting showers of smooches and extra helpings of octopus sausages from Tomoko's bento lunches. But despite how much Okuyasu pursed his lips and begged for an answer, Josuke remained tight lipped, only giving him playful smirks and punches in the shoulder "for being a big baby".

And so it continued on their walk to the Higashikata household, with Okuyasu's patience wearing so dangerously thin that he resembled more of a petulant child than a hulking high schooler.

"Look, we're already here," Josuke smirked, opening his front gate. "Was waiting really that hard for you babe?"

Okuyasu scrunched his nose. "Don't make fun of me."

They walked to the front door, hands intertwined and schoolbags dragging along the stone steps. But instead of immediately going inside, Josuke stopped, turning to look at Okuyasu with a somewhat stern expression on his (beautiful, gorgeous, stupidly handsome) face.

"Wait here a sec. Don't come in 'till I tell you to. And keep your eyes closed!"

Great, more waiting.

The whine Okuyasu made drew another low laugh from Josuke, who leaned forward give the boy a peck on the cheek. "Hey, it's gonna be super worth it. 'Kay?"

Okuyasu blushed and watched as Josuke slipped in through the front door, closing it directly behind him as if he didn't trust his boyfriend not to follow. Well Okuyasu could. He was more than adept at listening and following directions. He'd admit he wasn't the brightest of bulbs in the warehouse, but he was fully capable of anything even a trained dog could do.

No more than thirty-seconds (yes, Okuyasu had counted) had passed before Josuke's voice yelled, "Aight! Come in! And don't forget to close your eyes!"