💜 Bro Night 💙

Start from the beginning

Josuke had forgotten about Jotaro. He had been staying with them for a few weeks now, but he was generally quiet enough that Josuke sometimes wouldn't even realize he was there. He sighed in relief, glad that he wouldn't have Jotaro breathing down his and Okuyasu's necks the whole night.

Okuyasu looked back at Josuke, a look of confusion on his face as he placed the snacks he was carrying on the small table between the TV and the couch. "Jotaro's been finding some more stand users around here, so he's been searching for them," Josuke explained to the other boy in a whisper. "He keeps telling me not to get involved, even though Crazy Diamond is obviously strong enough to deal with it." Okuyasu snickered in that silly but cute way Josuke always liked, a snort rising out of his nose.

The two started the night with a few rounds of video games, and after about an hour, Tomoko shouted down the hall about not ruining the house while she was gone and that she loved Josuke and to have fun and many other mom things. Josuke responded with a simple "Bye ma, love ya" before hearing the front door close behind her. That just left him and Okuyasu, alone together, sitting a few inches apart on the couch.

They spent the night playing video games and talking. They talked about everything they could, from stand users, to the previous traumatic events from a few months ago that had become what felt like a distant memory, even to Koichi and Yukako's relationship. Which brought them onto the situation of relationships. Great, the one topic Josuke was afraid of talking about.

"Bro, I still can't believe Koichi scored a girlfriend before you and I could," Okuyasu complained, eyes still glued to the fighting game glowing on the screen. Josuke felt his heart lodge into his throat. He tried to focus on the game in front of him, but it was obvious he was getting distracted. He glanced over at Okuyasu, the light from the TV making him glow beautifully.

Whether Okuyasu saw it or not, Josuke truly thought that he was one of the prettiest human beings ever. Josuke had so many positive things to say about him, even Jotaro noticed how much he liked him. It was so embarrassing that everyone except Okuyasu noticed it. He stared at the boy, his best friend's silhouette causing the butterflies in his stomach to start acting up again, like they did every time he thought about him. He had taken off his jacket and was left with his purple tank top and pants, his strong arms on display in the light of the television. His concentrated face made him look so much more adorable in the light. He thought about wrapping his arms around his waist, snuggling into his neck...

The GAME OVER sound effect snapped Josuke back to reality. He felt his face getting hot as he broke his gaze from the other. Okuyasu cried out in triumph, raising his hands in the air in victory. He looked over at Josuke, his classic goofy smile plastered on his face. Josuke smiled back at him in congratulations, trying to hold back the urge to hug his oblivious friend right there and then.

After a few more rounds of fights, they both decided to relax and watch a movie. Okuyasu picked from Josuke's array of DVDs and decided on a rom com. Josuke laughed. "Dude, I know you, you don't like rom coms," he said. He knew Okuyasu hated cheesy romance movies. He thought they were stupid and over-the-top for no reason.

Okuyasu shrugged as he passed the movie case to Josuke. "Well, I know you like them, so I thought maybe I could survive through one for you, bro."

Josuke felt the butterflies again. His heart pounded in his chest as his friend smiled sweetly at him. It was a smile he rarely saw from Okuyasu, one he knew was genuine and sincere. One he knew he was the only one to ever see it. He swallowed the lump in his throat.

"Y-you don't have to do that for me, dude," he muttered out as he stood and grabbed the case from the other. He leaned down, opening the case and placing the DVD in the player. He returned to join the other on the couch. Okuyasu was sitting a few inches closer than he was earlier. Josuke tried hard not to think about it as he cracked open another soda. It was not working very well.