An 'L' Shaped Scar

Start from the beginning

"Some crazy bastard running around with a knife cut me," he grumbled, Y/N remembered him now. He had beat up a homeless man who asked for some spare change. "The fucker just ran out of an alley and attacked me." Muttering filled up the whole pub as people whispered about what Richard just told them. Some women gasped and others looked a little unsure about the integrity behind Richard's story. Y/N hated what this was going to do to her reputation. As someone who was cleaning up the streets, this made her sound like a crazy lunatic with a knife, not someone who was protecting the bottom-of-the-barrel lower class people of London. After a little more muttering and whispering, a woman who was a well known prostitute spoke up.

"Is that all? Or is there a little more to your story?" Some people gasped at what she was suggesting and others looked scared while Richard looked enraged.

"No! That son of a bitch jumped me and I'm gonna send him to hell for it!" While some other customers looked like ghosts, the prostitute calmly but firmly stood her ground.

"I find that hard to believe." This lady really didn't fear death. "Go off, queen," Y/N thought.

"You tryin' to say somethin' you little whore?"

"Just that I've seen who you're talking about, and they're no crazy son of a bitch, they're a hero," she said calmly as she sipped her wine, like the queen she was. Richard looked like he was going to explode with rage.

"What did you just say you filthy whore?" Richard had stood up, knocked over his stool, and was getting ready to hit the woman before Alice stepped in.

"Let the lady speak or you'll be outta my bar faster than you can fish money out of your pockets to pay for your tab," Alice threatened. Richard growled again before violently picking up his stool, set it back down, and wisely stayed seated.

"Like I was saying," said the working girl, "That person's a hero. In fact, they saved my ass just the other night from some crazy man trying to rob me with a knife. The bastard was ready to cut me open for some spare change before that person stepped in." People were now all listening to her side of this story with great interest. Was this person some crazy with a knife or were they a hero in the making? "When they showed up they pulled a knife on the man, but they did it after they told him to back the fuck up. When he didn't listen they went at him and he was too drunk to dodge but sober enough to feel the pain when they sliced an 'L' on his face, just like yours." Y/N remembered that one as well, a drunk man with a knife had tried to make the prostitute hand over her night's wages before Y/N had stepped in. "Plus Mary, my sister who works down the street, had something similar happen to her when another bastard tried to rape her. It was about two weeks ago on the 24th. She was cornered in an alley by some nasty noble when someone in a blue scarf saved her. She said she originally thought her hero killed the son of a bitch but turns out she did the same thing she did to you and to my attacker. So I'll say it again: that person is no crazy son of a bitch. They're a hero." The woman took another dainty sip of wine and all heads turned over to Richard who had chugged another pint of beer. Now they were all wondering what he had done to get the 'L' on his cheek. Whispering spread through the pub like wildfire and Richard ground his teeth because someone had called him out on his bullshit.

Y/N smiled a bit as people continued to talk about her while she took more orders and passed out more food to patrons. Tipping was still good but it had gone down a little bit since Y/N's face wasn't as new as it was a week ago. All you could hear were people talking about Y/N's alter ego from that point on, all night until closing time. As they cleaned off the tables after the doors were locked, Alice questioned Y/N about her little warning marks. "So you really cut that sucker like that, as a warning?"

"Well, I told him to back up first but, yeah." Both Y/N and Alice looked at each other before they started laughing.

"You are insane, honey! Oh what I wouldn't give to have seen the look on his face!"