CHAPTER 48- Letting Go

Începe de la început

"I think I love you,"  I blurted it out without any warning and hoped that he'd be fine with it. The snow kept falling harshly since I feel it cascading and melting against my face. When I opened my eyes, his smile slowly vanished. The glint in his eyes had faded, and he was staring at me, puzzled and concerned.

His hand left my face and slowly inches back without saying a word. His expression left me bemused. It left me wondering if what I said was wrong, or if I shouldn't have said it.

I felt a great pang in my chest as he steps farther away from me. I clutched to my chest and called out his name but he still looked at me with bewilderment. The streaks of sunlight shied away from it as it slowly turned into deep indigo and the snow continued to fall grimly.

"Michael!" I called his name as I grip my chest, trying to suppress the pain. He looked at me dead in my eyes, as he turned around and walked away.

The wind was getting harsh, the snow was falling cruelly, and the one I love was walking away from me. I tried to take a step forward but my foot was stuck on the icy ground. I kept calling his name, but his figure was getting smaller every second.

Suddenly he stopped, and a woman appeared by his side. Beautiful and innocent, she smiled happily at Michael. He turned to her with the same loving eyes he used to give me.

The once vibrant and cheerful ranch fell into darkness and despair. I looked at them the same way I pictured my future with him. It broke me, but when they both turned around, my heart sunk.

They smiled at me audaciously and held each other's hands proudly, looking madly in love. Then they suddenly vanished through the thick, falling snow.

He decided to be with her. He chose her.

He left me with a broken heart.

---

MICHAEL

The glow in her eyes, both with nervousness and surprise was amusing to me. The way our fingers brushed when we both gripped the door handle at the same moment piqued my interest.

When I sat across from her, her tone shifted from frantic to bossy as I expressed my objectives for my property. She elegantly scribbled down my ideas, which formed the link between us.

The apple pie she gifted me surprised me in my loneliest of days. She became a friend I never knew I needed.

When she grabbed my hand while soundly sleeping as the connection grew more each passing day. She became the feeling I thought I had reserved for someone else.

When I kissed her soft, luscious lips as we continued to dance underneath the bright stars, she became the woman of my dreams.

When I look into her eyes and see a bright future for us, she became my safe haven.

Now, I became her nightmare. She's in this predicament because of me. I thought I was going to lose her. I would've never forgiven myself if she passed away in my arms.

"Bill just told me that he already called Jazmine. She's on her way here," Janet entered through the wall of guards barricading the area. I sat on the steel bench outside the intensive care unit where Mia is and just stared at the floor with my hands clasped tightly together, still shaken because of Mia's condition.

"Hey, Michael," she whispered as she held my shoulder. I looked at her with fright as the tears started to pool. "It's alright, I'm here" she hugged me while I tried to keep the tears from falling.