01

There was once a time in Violet Juarez' life where everything was okay. Things were never good or great, but they were okay. Life was manageable. For a short period of time, a moment in which Violet should have been too young to remember, she knew what it was like to have a family. However, if there was one thing she learned early on, it was that good things were not meant to last.

All too soon, Violet's short, 'okay' life was ripped away from her. Everything she ever knew was gone. When she tried to start over, that life too was taken from her, and she was left with a choice. One no child should have to answer.

—————

The low rumbling of a muffler echoes sharply under the overpass of a busy highway as a forest green 1998 Subaru Impreza speeds down the narrow lanes. The driver, Violet Juarez, weaves through the light traffic with practiced ease, one hand resting idly on her gear shift while the other grips her steering wheel. An equally loud car follows close behind, a white 2020 Nissan GT-R Nismo. The woman glances towards the familiar supercar before tapping her gas and lurching forward in a teasing manner.

Violet grins as the car responds and loudly pulls ahead of her, easily maneuvering through the cluster of cars ahead of them. She swiftly shifts gears and speeds up to keep close, the owner a man named Noah Galan. The pair eventually make it to the far left, and Noah is quick to take advantage of the open fast lane. Violet tightens her grip on the faux leather steering wheel as the arrow on her speedometer continues to climb, the woman grinning childishly at the roar of her own engine.

Another loud car sounds behind her, and she glances back as a lowered carbon fiber 1999 Nissan Skyline pulls up next to her, Noah's brother Angel. The window rolls down to reveal the familiar smiling face of the driver, the younger Galan bobbing his head to whatever song is playing through the speakers of his car. Violet feels more than she hears the loud bass and lets out a light laugh, slowing down as they reach a busier part of the freeway. Noah suddenly swerves to the right, and Violet is quick to follow, Angel right behind her.

The group easily cuts across the six lane highway before taking the first exit they come across, merging onto the empty access road. Speeding through the first traffic light, Noah slows the small group as a huge parking lot comes into view on their right. Rows upon rows are filled with lowered cars and lifted trucks, the picture perfect scene of a car meet.

Noah drives to the far end of the parking lot and guides the group into the remaining empty spaces. Violet quickly parks and turns her car off with a sigh before opening her door, loud music from a nearby truck welcoming her. The woman exits the vehicle, eyes sweeping over her surroundings, and takes in a deep breath. The woman's head fills with static as she lets the loud chatter and music wash over. Violet glances towards the Galan siblings as they greet each other before leaning against the front of Angel's car.

The strong scent of weed and burnt rubber burns the woman's nose as she takes in another breath, the smell familiar as it is distasteful. Violet looks around for the source of the smells and spots a group in front of a dated black Suburban, the vehicle glowing with bright neon lights. Two men are seated in folding chairs with blunts in hand and a small ice chest in front of them, beer the only visible occupant. Next to the chest is a small speaker blaring the local tejano station.

Noah glances around at the absence of his friend to find Violet standing almost stiffly next to her car, her eyes carefully scanning the parking lot. The man can not help but watch as the woman takes in everything, seeming to be lost in thought but still actively aware of her surroundings. Noah releases a low whistle, Violet immediately turning towards him, and he raises an eyebrow in silent question. He waves the younger over and she quickly makes her way towards him. Noah extends his hand, holding out a lit blunt, and Violet grabs it with no hesitation.