𝐎𝐍𝐄

╔⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤╝❀╚⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤╗

"𝘐'𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘺𝘰𝘶."

╚⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤╗❀╔⏤⏤⏤⏤⏤╝

She looked at me with confusion written all over her expression, "Why do you wanna know?"

"Just wondering."

"Alatus," she answered. "To be honest, I don't think I'm ever going to find him. I'm guessing it's a guy based on the name, but I haven't met anyone named Alatus in my entire life...! What if he's, like, all the way across the world!?"

My eyes widened at the newfound information as I realized that her bracelet had not read 'Xiao' this entire time. I subconsciously fiddled with my own bracelet, which sat uncomfortably under my jacket sleeve. I never revealed it to anyone. Other people were untrustworthy, and they'd say things to start more drama than what was necessary. I assumed Y/n didn't want me to be her soulmate, so she never said anything. I thought it was an unspoken agreement never to acknowledge that we were soulmates. As it turned out, she had no idea and I had been a fool.

"Xiao? You okay?" Y/n said, waving her hand in front of my face.

"I'm fine," I snapped, slapping her hand away.

"Did I make you upset? I didn't mean to, I'm sorry..."

I felt guilt strike me at her somber tone, "No, you didn't do anything. It's fine."

"If you say so," she shrugged. "Anyways, what's your soulmate's name?"

"That doesn't matter."

"Aw, c'mon! I know you don't really care for that stuff, but at least tell me their name?"

"I'm not telling you."

"Fine," she sighed. "Guess I can't force you."

I needed a distraction from the situation. Why did she seem so curious about my soulmate's name? It was odd, but she was odd in general so it shouldn't have been that surprising. My mind was frantic and jumbled. All the years I'd known she was my soulmate, I thought she was in the same boat. I failed to consider that my birth name was used instead of the one I took on when my father adopted me.

"Let's get back to work."

⋘══════∗ {•『 ♡ 』•} ∗══════⋙

I began walking home from Y/n's home, her mother waving to me as I exited through the front door. I contemplated what I found out, wondering what to do. I pondered it for a bit, but I couldn't come up with a solution.

She'll definitely be disappointed if she finds out I'm the one she's supposed to spend the rest of her life with. I shouldn't say anything.

I entered my own household, where Father was sitting on the sofa in the living room, to the right of the door. I observed him quietly, seeing that he was reading a book without the cover, so I couldn't read the title. He didn't look up, but I could tell he noticed my presence.

"Welcome back, Xiao. How is Y/n doing?" He asked.

"She's doing fine."

"You don't sound too happy. Did you mention your bracelets?"

I didn't willingly tell him about Y/n being my soulmate. He just happened to spot the name while I was wearing the bracelet. I trusted him, so I didn't care much. He wasn't some immature teenager who would do anything to get attention. Besides, he was one of the only people who cared for me.

"She doesn't know I'm her soulmate," I stated, taking a seat beside him.

"How's that?"

"Her bracelet says 'Alatus' instead of 'Xiao'."

"Well, I suppose that makes sense," Father sighed. "I'm sure she'd be glad to know you're her soulmate, Xiao."

"She wouldn't," I dismissed, shaking my head gently.

"And how do you know? Did you ask her?"

"...No."

"So-"

"I'm not here for a lecture. I'm going upstairs," I cut him off harshly, not wanting to hear him rant on for another two hours before I finally got to rest.

I crashed onto my bed, feeling my chest heave as I breathed in. There were many thoughts scrambling around my head, but I couldn't get ahold of a single one. Strangely, most of them involved Y/n in some way. I knew her since the beginning of middle school, but we never talked much until high school. We ended up in the same class so Y/n decided to attempt a friendship with me. It worked, but even after three years, I still didn't open up to her. I guessed she was annoyed by that.

"This is pointless..." I mumbled, turning on my side and exhaling before closing my eyes, ready for sleep to overtake me.

⋘══════∗ {•『 ♡ 』•} ∗══════⋙

When I woke, it was dark. I'd gone to sleep surprisingly early, so I also got up surprisingly early as well. I wanted to sleep again, but I couldn't bring myself to close my eyes. Instead, I sat up and rubbed my eyes, wiping away all sleep. I realized my phone was still in my pocket and took it out, unlocking it with the passcode. I noted that it was four in the morning, and I got a text from Y/n.

'Xiao, you awake?' 
sent 3:32 am

I sighed at the fact that she either woke up extremely early, or didn't go to sleep, but I typed out my response anyway. I wondered what she could've possibly had to say at three-thirty in the morning.

'I am now.'
sent 4:21 am

I let out an even deeper sigh when I saw a bubble pop up on my screen, indicating that she was typing. She still hadn't slept, even at four in the morning. She needed to take better care of herself.

'Why are you awake at 4 am??'
sent 4:22 am

'You realize you're awake too, right?'
sent 4:23 am

'Well ya, but still. Anyway, how are you doing?'
sent 4:25 am

'I just woke up.'
sent 4:25 am

'You wake up at 4 in the morning????'
sent 4:26 am

'Sometimes.'
sent 4:26 am

'Wow. I guess you're just starting ur day then.'
sent 4:27 am

'Why did you message me so early in the morning?'
sent 4:27 am

'Idk, I just had a gut feeling sorta. Felt like I had to.'
sent 4:28 am

'That sounds ridiculous.'
sent 4:28 am

'To you, maybe. I was worried, ok?'
sent 4:28 am

I furrowed my eyebrows, confused at why she'd be worried about me. Did she think someone was sneaking into my house in order to kill me? What kind of gut feeling would tell her I was in danger? Was that part of a soulmate bond?

'I'm fine. Go to sleep.'
sent 4:30 am

'No.'
sent 4:30 am

'You need rest, Y/n. We have school today.'
sent 4:31 am

'I guess, but I don't feel like sleeping.'
sent 4:32 am

'Fine. Don't blame me if you fall asleep during classes again.'
sent 4:33 am

'Ehh... Okay, I'll sleep ig.'
sent 4:44 am

I could almost hear her sigh of disappointment through the phone.

'Goodnight.'
sent 4:45 am

'Goodnighttt!'
sent 4:45 am