Chapter 11: Twists and Turns

Start from the beginning

Lan WangJi replied calmly, "I told you to not extract it yet,"

Wei WuXian retracted his resentment slightly, but the tendrils licked and lapped at his robes and body. His eyes remained red, staring at the equally ruby ones of the light bearer. Wei WuXian spoke carefully, stepping forward, "Lan Zhan, don't make me fight you..."

Lan WangJi's Bichen flew back into its sheath, the jade's head tilting playfully, "Fight me?"

Wei WuXian hated how hot he found that. Just for his own sake, he extended his hand again, stepping closer towards the jade, "Lan Zhan, we're trying to help you. Why-"

He stopped cold, eyes widening in shock. The resentment around him spasmed and shot towards Lan WangJi without his command. Lan WangJi's eyes widened and he opened his own palm to stop it, but the material went straight in. Wei WuXian dropped his hand and glanced down, feeling his body drain and the feeling of resentment voices fighting in his head. He gripped his head, staring at Lan WangJi, "What are you doing?!!"

"Nothing!" Lan WangJi exclaimed, seeing more resentment pull from Wei WuXian, and flow towards him.

Lan WangJi saw Wei WuXian try to bring back control, only for his complexion beginning to pale and outright fear and panic cracking through. He begged loudly, "LAN ZHAN, STOP TAKING IN RESENTMENT!!!"

"A-XIAN!!" Jiang Cheng yelled, running towards his brother, but the resentment burst and blocked his path. Wei WuXian's body was filtering out resentment, the energy trying to stay near him, only for it to flow towards Lan WangJi. Wei WuXian grimaced, stumbling back trying to pull out of range, but the pull only seemed to grow worse and more resentment left him.

He saw the three spirits staring at him with horror and fear. They knew, he knew, no one else here did. The resentment was the only thing keeping the injuries together as they healed, but without a core, the process was taking years, as these were injuries from the time he fell into the Burial Mounds, from the three months he spent there.

His body had been broken beyond repair, multiple, if not half of his bones had been in some form broken, whether just a fracture or fully shattered. And fighting the war after had not helped the healing process. He never got moments to sit and heal, he was expected to do things and he was avoiding duties he couldn't perform but had promised to uphold. It wasn't until he moved with the remnants did he begin to properly feel the effect of the bones healing.

So, some of the broken bones hadn't healed yet, like his lower spine and hips. Those were held together by resentment as his body healed them naturally. But this...whatever this thing inside Lan WangJi was, it was drawing resentment from Wei WuXian. It was picking him apart, literally. Wei WuXian spat out blood in pain as he felt his fire shoot up around his spine, legs losing ability to walk.

Lan Xichen turned to his brother in worry, "WangJi!!!"

Lan WangJi saw the other fall, he saw the blood, his eyes which had faded into gold, became red again. Lan WangJi felt his love for the other overtake him and he ordered, "STOP!!"

The resentment froze and Lan WangJi blocked out the resentment from filtering in or out, panting. The resentment was still twirling around and being absorbed, but no more was leaving Wei WuXian.

Wei WuXian weakly choked, coughing up blood, "La-Lan...Zhan..."

"I'm here, I'm here!" Lan WangJi promised, cultivators still in shock and fear from what just occurred, yet saw the fear and worry on the normally stoic expression as he crossed the distance and reached for Wei WuXian, "Wei Ying, stay awake!!"

Upon being moved, Wei WuXian's gasped in pain, choking on blood, coughing and his eyes shutting in pain. It hurt so much, he had forgotten this feeling. He whimpered, his weak hand gripping the white robes as more blood began to drip. He felt old scars open up, blood running down his torso and arms, droplets of red appearing on his other hand. Wei WuXian tried to look, but his shoulder was hurt and he grunted, holding back a sob.