His bravery was not responded with hesitation from the man. Artemisia recognized the sound of the blade slicing through the air, envisioning his acts. A muffled cry came from the phone.

The group fell silent for a blink. What the fuck were they supposed to do? They were left with no other choice than to listen to the torturing. A whimper caught them off guard ─Deathstroke was really hurting him. It switched something in Hank. He grabbed the phone. "You fucking bastard! Come try that shit with me!"

Dick snatched the device back. He was the only one who could continue the treaty with civilization. The rest had sunk into their emotions. Fury. Startle. Anxiety. He did not feel anything but disappointment, all written over his face. "Just tell us what you want."

A choked breath cut off the last of Jason's whimpers. Artemisia clenched her fists, nails digging into her palms. She wanted to cry. "As I was saying if you want him back, hand over Rose."

"And how do we know you're gonna keep your promise?"

Silence. Then more of Jason's swears.  Deathstroke chuckled. A primal need to murder him came upon them. "Tonight, three AM. Embarcadero Plaza. Outside. Use this phone to confirm."

The line disconnected. Artemisia relaxed, showing how weak she actually was. She turned her back on them, hiding her cries. "Fuck." She struck the nearest object, which happened to be Doctor Light's dead body. She did not feel bad about it. "It's my fault. I told him─"

"No, I left him behind," Dick argued. He had walked over to face her, hands resting in her shoulders. She did not believe him. This was on her. "I shouldn't have pushed him back for so long."

His hands traveled up her neck, stopping by her jaw and tilting her head up. Her watery eyes stared at his desperate ones. "Dick, I told him we'll let him have the next mission. He went out because of me."

"It's not the time to blame anyone," Hank interrupted their self-pitying moment. "Jason went out without your permission. What's done is done. Let's focus on bringing him back."

Artemisia would have normally spun around, start a discussion and annoy him by poking her finger into his chest. But right now, she did not have the energy to do so. Besides, she was thankful he forced her to stop crying and compose herself. She turned to the team with a shy smile. Not pretending. They were all destroyed.

"How'd you plan on bringing him back? It's not like you guys beat him last time," Zach called from a few steps behind the team. He acted like a stranger; because he felt like one. This was not his fight but here he was, helping them find a teen with who he barely shared a word.

Hank glared in his direction. "We're very aware of that. Thank you, dickhead." Zach only shrugged at his response.

"We should go back to the apartment. Talk there." Donna offered. And they agreed. This was no place to discuss what their next move would be. Deathstroke could be anywhere, listening, targeting them. There was no safe place, just like it had been with Doctor Light.

They were quiet in the walk towards the car. And inside the vehicle, too. The same happened in the elevator. None of them wished to speak their minds. What would they do with Rose? Trade her off? Use her as leverage? 

The doors to the apartment opened. Five pairs of eyes looked in their direction. Time seemed to slow down when Artemisia's eyes landed on the tallest of them all.

"Kory?" She rushed towards the woman and pulled her into a needed hug. A short one since the time was not right. The footsteps behind her reminded her of their reality. This wasn't a time to celebrate. She pulled away, trying to hold onto her grin. "It's good to see you again."