Peko X Depressed!Reader lemon 😫

(A/N aw shit. Here we go again.)

It was your average day at hopes peak academy. Nothing new. Nothing interesting. School went by quickly. And when classes ended, you went outside behind the school for a little bit of alone time. You sat underneath your favourite tree. It wasn't special in any way. It was just peaceful. It was the one place you could go where you'd feel at peace. But today was a little different.

So there you sat, playing on your phone. You used your phone as an escape from reality. Not like reality had much in store for you. To you, you felt empty. Like there was nothing to look forward to in this world anymore. You can't put your finger on why. Your life was seemingly fine. It felt like you had no good reason to feel the way you do. And everyone around you keeps telling you that.

"Just be happy. There's so much good in this world!"

"You're too pretty to be so sad!"

"Just smile! You will feel better if you smile!"

"Chin up! You have it so good! It could be worse!"

None of these comments ever helped you. They've always felt dismissive of your feelings. You just wish that there was someone who could listen to you for once.

Well, you did have some people. You had your acquaintances and even a few friends in your class. All very talented people. Whether it be the ultimate lucky student or the ultimate goddamn princess, they all were a pretty colorful cast of people. You most of the time just sat in the back and observed from afar.

You didn't really like talking to people. But you did have a few people who occasionally hung around you. Like Ibuki. Or Sonia. Ibuki is a bit too loud for your tastes. But she basically adopted you like an extrovert would an introvert. So she's pretty cool. And you and Sonia have similar interests. Which was a bit surprising at first. But in a positive way. And because Sonia hangs around you, so does Kazuichi. He was a bit weird but you didn't really mind him that much. And then, there was Peko.

Peko was an enigma to you. She had only recently started sitting at your lunch table rather than her usual seat with that overly aggressive, overly angry, no-chill midget man. And that entire time she had barely spoken a word unless spoken to. And yet, she stayed. You didn't really understand why, though. She always looked bored and uninterested with what was going on. But then again, you could sorta relate to this. So you... enjoyed her company in a way.

But yet, no matter how many friends you had, it wasn't enough to distract you from the things your mind tells you. Sure. Hearing someone else telling you these things is one thing. But your own mind is a different story. Given you can't escape your own thoughts. It's gotten to a point that you've just accepted that you were worth nothing. Living with it was the only option you had.

(Your POV)

I Continued to just sit and play with my phone under my favourite tree, Lost in my thoughts. I had grown an attachment to my phone. I use it as a way of escapism. Sometimes I forget what's real and what isn't. It doesn't matter anyway. Suddenly, I hear footsteps on the grass. I didn't bother to look up to see who it was, though. Whoever it was, it didn't really matter to me.

"(L/N)?"

I recognize that voice...
Ok. I take back what I said previously. Maybe I do care just a little. I finally looked up to see Peko, who was still wearing her swordfighting practice attire. scabbard on her back and everything. In one hand, she was holding a plastic cup with a liquid of some sort in it. I pondered why she would come here of all places.

"Oh. Evening, Pekoyama."

I said to her, trying to be as polite as possible.

"..Is it alright if I join you?"

She asks me. Why would she want to join me? I do not know. But either way, I didn't really mind. I scooted over and patted the grass next to me, signalling for her to sit without saying a word. She slightly nods and sits down, setting her scabbard down next to her. She fidgets with the straw in her cup.

"So what brings you here, Pekoyama? Got tired of listening to that small angry toddler man bicker?"

I laughed at my own unfunny joke. Peko lets out a sigh. She doesn't seem to have found it as funny. She takes a sip of her drink before looking back up and reaponding.

"My training has ended for the day. So I thought I'd come check on you. With the permission of young master, of course."

She wanted to check... On me? But- why? What's the point of that? I'm honestly surprised that she even remembered my surname. Her reasoning was confusing me. Why does she say that like as if she cares? It's hard to tell.

"May I ask why?"

I asked, raising a brow at her. She takes a moment of awkward silence before finally responding to my question.

"For as long as I've known you, you've always been so.. Quiet. Compared to your friends, that is. You always have a sorrowful look on your face. And I just... Wanted to check to see if you were alright. Sincerest apologies if I am being a bother."

My eyes widen a little bit. Her acknowledging my existence was one thing. But genuinely caring about my well being? No. Probably not genuinely. She probably wants something from me. Who would actually genuinely care about how I feel?

"I'm fine, Pekoyama. But I appreciate the concern!"

I respond, politely. I was lying through my teeth. And I have a feeling that she knows this. She lets out a sigh.

"Look, if you don't want to talk about whatever is going on in that head of yours. That's fine. I wouldn't pry information out of you and cause you discomfort. But just keep in mind that there are people who care about you."

In hearing that, I'll be completely honest, I kind of felt like crying. Just break down sobbing my eyes out. But not in a bad way. I have never had someone sit down with me and tell me that before. It was hard to believe. But a part of me wanted to believe it.

I turned my head towards her and smiled. And for once, it was a genuine smile.

"Thank you.. That is appreciated.."

She very slightly smiled back at me. But it was so slight that I could barely even see it. And then, she hands me the cup she was holding.

"Here. You don't usually drink anything at lunch. I wasn't going to finish it anyway."

She then stands up, grabbing her scabbard. She turns her back to me, preparing to leave.

"I need to get going, now. I wouldn't want to linger for too long and I don't want to leave young master waiting."

Before leaving, she looks over her shoulder at me one last time.

"Be safe, (L/N). I'll be seeing you."

She turns her head again and starts walking off, not really waiting for a response. I stare at her leaving for a minute. Then I look down at the cup she gave me. I take a sip from the straw. It had a lemony, citrusy taste. I look back up. And I smile again. Though it doesn't take any of the pain away, simply hearing what she had said made me feel just a little bit better. And hey, a little is better than nothing at all, right?

"See ya on the flipside, Pekoyama."

(FIN.)

(A/N Lmaoo this was trash. Welp, here you go ig. Have a field day with this dumpster fire of a troll chapter.)