Chapter Twenty

Gretchen's next two days were full of busy shifts at the flower shop, visits to see Albert before and after those shifts, and attempts to find a birthday gift for Albert. After several trips to different shops, she gave up. Gretchen stayed up into the early hours of the morning, working on a piece of embroidery. She was stitching the image of a flower, a red amaryllis. When she and Albert had visited the gardens on their first date, he pointed out an amaryllis flower to her and told her that he liked that kind best. He had said that he always liked red flowers because of the color of his hair.

The piece of embroidery kept her from getting much sleep, but she didn't have much time to complete it other than at night. Gretchen finished it just in time, too. She had managed to swap shifts with a girl Ms. Ferguson had hired in Gretchen's absence. That way she was able to spend more time with Albert on his birthday.

She tied off the last stitch just in time to get ready to leave the apartment. Sure, she hadn't slept. But she could sleep later. She needed to be with Albert on his birthday, especially since he'd been cooped up in the hospital. The doctors said he could leave once they were sure that his stab wound wouldn't get infected. It seemed like that time would come in the next few days, and Albert would be free from the hospital.

Sure, he wouldn't be able to work for a week or two, but at least he would be home. Gretchen would have to go back to work, which she wasn't exactly looking forward to. She enjoyed her job, but it seemed to drag on when she wasn't able to visit Albert. Hopefully he'd be able to spend a shift or two with her. Then they'd get the chance to talk, away from the ears of the doctors, nurses, other patients, and newsies. Not that Gretchen and Albert didn't enjoy the company. In fact, she knew that Albert wouldn't have gotten better so quickly if his friends weren't surrounding him. But they barely had a chance to talk about everything that had happened. They hadn't had any time to themselves.

Gretchen fiddled with the piece of fabric stretched tight in its wooden embroidery hoop. She hoped that Albert would like his gift. It wasn't much, but she had made it herself. She pushed open the doors to the hospital and made her way down the hall, once again greeting the familiar nurses with a smile. She knew that she wouldn't be the first to arrive that afternoon. The newsies had made a plan with her to show up around the same time so everyone could celebrate his birthday together.

Inside Albert's room, several newsies were already gathered around the bed. The only chairs in the room were filled, and everyone else either stood or sat on the floor. Gretchen decided she would stand. When she walked in the room, Albert's smile lit up even brighter upon seeing her.

"Happy birthday!" Gretchen said with a smile brilliant enough to match his. His friends around him all chorused hellos and greeted Gretchen.

"Thank you," Albert replied, beaming happily.

"You can sit here, Gretchen." Romeo, ever the gentleman, stood from the small couch and offered her his seat. With a grateful smile, she settled in his spot, squished between Buttons and Finch.

"Oh, I brought you this," Gretchen said to Albert, passing the embroidery hoop his way. It made its way through the hands of four newsies before it got to Albert, each of them letting out a soft "ooo" upon seeing it.

Albert smiled as he looked at the piece. "Is this an am...amar...," he hesitated when he reached the name, unsure of how to pronounce it correctly.

Gretchen nodded. "You told me that the amaryllis was your favorite flower. Specifically the red one."

"I remember," he said softly, looking at her work in awe. "I can't believe you remembered. Did ya make this?" Gretchen nodded again. "I love it," he said happily, holding it as if it was his most prized possession. "Thank you."

Gretchen smiled, relieved that he liked it and that he had recognized the flower. "You're very welcome. Happy birthday." After a short moment, the rest of the newsies were eagerly asking to see it. They all passed it around, examining the gift. A few even jokingly requested a piece of their own.

Once everyone had arrived, they broke out a small cake. Gretchen had no clue how they managed to sneak it past the hospital staff, but they did. Everyone got a small piece, but they were all just excited to eat something they didn't usually get. More gifts were given to Albert, and he loved each one. By the end of the evening, everyone was full of cake and laughter. Gretchen knew she would count this night as one of her absolute favorite nights of her life.

~~~~~
there are only two chapters left...