Chapter Six

Gretchen set the watering can down after completing her daily task of giving the flowers water. "You know," she said, sighing and straightening the small apron she wore over her dress, "you two could've helped."

"But this is what you get paid for," Sarah said jokingly from her perch on the counter. "We don't want to help you finish early."

"Besides, you complain about having nothing to do most days," Alida pointed out, leaning against the counter next to where Sarah sat. "So in a way, we are helping by not helping."

Gretchen huffed. "You two are impossible."

Alida beamed at her. "That's us! Oh, by the way, when are you going to buy that paper? That's the reason we're here."

Raising an eyebrow and smiling slightly, Gretchen asked, "You're not here to keep your friend company while she works?"

"No! We want to meet Albert!" Sarah answered. "So when can you get the paper?"

Gretchen shrugged. "Ms. Ferguson hasn't asked me to get it yet. Usually she asks me by now. But maybe she doesn't want a paper today. I don't know."

As if on cue, Ms. Ferguson walked out from the back room, a newspaper already in her hand. She opened her mouth to speak, but Alida very rudely cut her off. "You've already gotten a paper?" She sighed.

Ms. Ferguson nodded, looking confused. "I had my son bring me one when he came over early this morning." Both Sarah and Alida groaned in disappointment. "Gretchen, I'm repotting some plants in the back. Would you mind getting another bag of soil down for me?"

Gretchen nodded. "Of course." The request was a normal one. As much as she hated to admit it, Ms. Ferguson had trouble with the heavier supplies, like bags of potting soil. Gretchen was always more than happy to assist.

"We'll be here when you get back," Sarah said as Gretchen followed Ms. Ferguson to the back room. Gretchen could hear her friends continue to talk quietly, but she couldn't hear exactly what they were talking about. She assumed it was something about Albert.

"The bag is up there." Ms. Ferguson pointed to a shelf, even though Gretchen already knew where it was. Standing on her toes, Gretchen carefully took the heavy bag off the shelf. As she lifted it up, she discovered a small hole in the back, sprinkling potting soil in her blonde hair. She set the bag down on the ground, opening it for Ms. Ferguson.

Just as Ms. Ferguson was thanking her, Gretchen heard the bell on the front door of the shop ring, meaning there was a customer. She trusted her friends with the safety of the shop, but they didn't know anything about flowers, so she hurried out front.

Gretchen stopped in her tracks, surprised when she exited the back room to find a familiar red-haired newsie talking with her friends. Suddenly, she was aware of the potting soil still very visible in her hair.

"Gretchen." Albert smiled when he spotted her, causing Sarah and Alida to turn in the direction Albert was looking. Sarah snorted quietly, probably about the dirt.

"Albert," Gretchen replied, returning his smile and trying to pretend that he had caught her off guard. "What are you doing here?"

Sarah butted in before he could answer. "Oh, so this is Albert?" She threw a smirk in Gretchen's direction.

"Why don't you introduce us, Gretch?" Alida requested, the same smirk on her face.

Gretchen returned to her post behind the counter, trying to discreetly get the soil off her head. "Albert, these are my friends Sarah and Alida. Sarah and Alida, this is Albert." As excited as she was to see Albert, she wished her friends weren't there to tease her.

"Nice to meet ya both." Albert tipped his cap to the two girls with a charming smile. "And to answer your question, I happened ta sell outta my papes early today. Thought I'd come see ya."

"That's so sweet of you, Albert," Alida said, still grinning teasingly at Gretchen. "You know, Gretchen had mentioned you were nice, but I guess I had to see it with my own eyes."

Albert turned to Gretchen with a slight smile, surprised. "You told 'em about me?" Gretchen wanted to either die right then and there or murder her friends. This was exactly why she had been hesitant to introduce them in the first place.

Sarah nodded. "She told us all about you. About how you saved her from the river, and then took her to get warm. And how when you smile, your eyes sparkle, and-" Gretchen cut Sarah off by sharply elbowing her in the ribs. She definitely had not told them about his eyes.

With a pointed look at her friends, Gretchen laughed nervously. "It was very nice of you to stop by, Albert, but unfortunately my friends have agreed to help me work today."

"Oh, I wouldn't wanna keep ya from your work," Albert said understandingly. "Well, it was nice to meet ya, Sarah and Alida. Will I see ya tomorrow, Gretchen?" He looked at her hopefully.

"I'll see you tomorrow," Gretchen replied, nodding once and smiling. Albert grinned and waved slightly before leaving the shop.

"You were right, he is cute!" Sarah exclaimed before the door had closed. Gretchen could have sworn that she spotted Albert's grin widen as he turned the corner and left her sight.

~~~~~
hi! sorry for not updating for so long, but here's a new chapter for you! I hope you enjoyed it :)
thanks for reading! <3