17 | Little Sprout

Start from the beginning

Rudien chuckled as he held his daughter delicately, ensuring his armour wouldn't hurt her. Those silken strands of silvery-grey hair falling over his sharp, ruby eyes. The scarlet orbs Irene wouldn't be able to see in a long time. She absorbed as much of his appearance as she could, afraid of forgetting what it would look like later.

"Ah, that's right!" She smiled, remembering the little tassel she had made for Rudien as a parting gift. As she took it out of the pocket of her dress, her little hands produced the white charm to her father, who's eyes glazed over it in surprise.

"I made this for you - a tassel for your sword to remember me by," Irene beamed. "Whenever you feel hopeless, just look at it, and imagine me giving you a biiiiig hug!"

Rudien chuckled softly, taking the little charm gently into his gloved hand. It's white strings resembled the colour of Irene's hair, and the shiny little beads adorning its body perfectly matched her gold-spun eyes.

"I will treasure this and keep it with me, always..." He smiled, hugging his daughter one last time. From the way he held her, Irene really was sure - this was the last hug before he would disappear for three years.

"Farewell, Papa," she sniffled, trying to hold back her lachrymose state but being unable to. Tears swelled in her eyes, and rolled down her rose-tinted cheeks. "I love you a lot... Please come back safe, okay?"

"I will, I promise," he whispered, hugging her closer for a moment, before pulling away. "I love you too, my dearest daughter."

As Rudien stood up, he glanced at Rayvis, who had gently pulled his sister toward him to comfort her, despite trying to hold back tears of his own. The duke gentle stroked his eldest child's hair, remembering how he would squirm at his mere touch, back in the past. Now, although overwhelmed with emotion, Rayvis was trying to comfort his little sister before himself.

"Be well, son. Take good care of Rene for me, and make sure you practise everyday," he smiled. "I look forward to seeing how much you've grown when I return."

"Y-Yes Father..." Rayvis spoke with a quavering voice, but the warm touch of his father's hand on his head left him with a feeling of comfort. I promise I'll become someone who's worthy of being called your son. I won't let you down.

It was then, that Rudien turned to the final person he had to say goodbye to. His wife, Sarah, who stood beside the crying children - with a gentle smile on her face. There were no tears falling from her perfect blue eyes, but only a beautiful smile that the Duke felt allured by.

"You aren't going to cry for me?" He asked her, jokingly - to which she chuckled softly.

"Why do I need to? You will return," she told him, closing her eyes. "No matter how many wars you fight in, I'll always see you off with a smile, and welcome you back with one."

Rudien gazed at his wife warmly, before pulling her into his arms. He never imagined she would become such an important figure in his life, as not only the mother of his children — but his life partner, the Duchess of Cherliann. While the children were busy rubbing the tears out of their eyes, Rudien leaned in and pressed his lips against Sarah's, to which she welcomed.

It was brief, but loving. She could feel the warmth of his face against her own. A sign he was alive. A feeling she knew would last even if they were apart.

As Rudien reluctantly pulled away, he brushed the pure-white strands of hair from Sarah's eyes. "Take care of the duchy, and our children for me," He smiled, before kissing her again on the forehead. He then quietly added, "and when I return, ensure you've slept well the night before."

Irene froze, startled by the sexual undertone of those words that she shouldn't have heard. They had that kind of relationship?? Wait... That would make sense or Rayvis and I wouldn't even exist...

Just ignore it, Irene! You're supposed to be five! She told herself, in the midst of her tears. Rayvis, who was still an innocent nine-year-old, didn't seem to notice anything. Meanwhile, Sarah's face had gotten so red she was practically a tomato - but she shrugged this off as Rudien turned away with a small chuckle, and finally hoisted himself up onto his steed.

The entire front of their grand ducal manor was crowded by hundreds of knights, their silver armour shining like mirrors against the light as they sat tall and elegantly upon their horses. Rudien turned his stallion, smiling one last time at his family. His silver hair swayed gently in the breeze, shadowing his scarlet eyes which glistened like rubies.

"I'll be home soon," he told them, his hands grasping the reins around his white stallion. "Please be well."

And with that, Irene watched as her precious father rode off into the sea of soldiers, who all waited patiently for his lead. Irene's final glimpse of his silver hair shining brightly, soon faded and disappeared into the distance.

That's that...

It'll be three years till I see him again, and by then...

Isabella will be adopted by Duke Einfred...

   And Prince Mikael will have entered our home.