♥ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞 ♥

20th September 1969

Two weeks passed, and it was soon the middle of September. Dhani and Mandy had become very close; Nancy had many friends, and Julian had found that he was particularly good at football and so was friends with all of the boys who shared his interest.

And George and I had embraced the new path of parenthood, and were spending a lot more time together and also with baby Jack.

George also refused to go to Apple Corps, Savile Row. I didn't blame him. The tension in the air between the four Beatles was so thick that it could be cut with a knife, and it only seemed to be getting worse. I wondered how much longer they would go on pretending that they were still a band; that The Beatles still had a future.

With these thoughts running rampant through my mind, I waited for Nancy to come out of her classroom, smiling at Miss York and giving her a small wave in greeting, which she returned. Miss York was very nice, and had, on more than one occasion, referred to George and the rest of The Beatles as the best band in the world.

George blushed everytime, and it was adorable.

"Hey, Nance!" I exclaimed as soon as I saw her dash out the door. She threw herself into my outstretched arms and I smiled - that was the response that I wanted when I picked my children up from schools. "Let's go get Jules and Dhan." I led her to Julian's classroom, and he was waiting outside of it already. He walked over to us, "hey, mum." He smiled, "I have a girlfriend, now."

I chuckled, "you're a little young, Julian!"

"We're totally in love." He answered in a serious tone, "her name is -"

"Mummy!" Dhani's little arms went around my middle, slightly taller than he was, and I wondered where he had come from. He wasn't usually let out of his classroom unless I was there waiting for him. "Mummy, Mandy wants me to come to her house for dinner!"

I smiled, "oh Dhani!" I exclaimed excitedly, "that's wonderful news -" I cut myself off as a middle aged woman appeared in front of me. She was quite thin and pale, with bright red lips which didn't match her complexion.

"You must be Dhani's mother?" Julian and Nancy were staring at her. I nudged Julian and he nudged Nancy, the two of them quickly glancing down at the floor in shame.

I smiled, "yes, hello." I held out my hand, "Emeraude Harrison."

"I'm Amanda's mother, Lorraine Templeton."

"Lovely to meet you, Mrs Templeton."

"Lorraine is fine," Lorraine answered, "anyway, it seems that our two are quite fond of each other. I'd like to have Dhani to our house tonight for dinner, since you and your husband were kind enough to have Amanda a few nights ago."

"She was no trouble," I answered politely, "and thank you for the offer. I'm sure that Dhani would love to go to your house for dinner." I looked at him, "yes?"

He nodded, "yes!"

Mandy, a small blonde girl who very rarely spoke unless she was around Dhani, was standing a few feet behind her mother. Dhani dashed around Lorraine Templeton's legs and straight over to Mandy. The two of them were usually quite quiet, but together they could be very loud. I loved that she brought that side out in him, and he in her.

* * * * *

When we got home, minus Dhani, George was sitting on the chaise longue in the hallway, staring into space. That's odd, I thought, so I went over to him. I knelt down and put a hand on his knee, startling him out of his mind. His brown eyes met my crystal blue ones and my heart leapt into my throat. He looked like he was going to throw up.

"What's wrong, George?" I asked quietly, looking around us and seeing that Julian and Nancy had disappeared, leaving Jack, who was quite content at that moment, in his pram.

"Ringo was on the phone." George said quietly, looking at my hand on his knee and entwining one of his with it, still keeping it over the top of his kneecap. I waited for him to continue. "H-he said it's over..."

I swallowed, a foul acrid taste building in my mouth. "I-it's over...?" I echoed in disbelief and sadness.

George nodded, "no more Beatles."

We sat in silence for what felt like a few hours but was only a minute or so. We let it sink in.

No more Beatles.